Gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin B

Dose any one know if these gloves are Arc And Voltage rated. I would like to find a glove that gives me better dexterity in one glove because I am wearing two gloves now (rubbers and a leather protector) and I can barely move my fingers.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/35ZW92_AS01?$zmmain$

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If it does not list a voltage category on the gloves, I think that you can assume that they are not voltage rated. You might be able to use them in place of other leather protectors to add the Arc Flash to the voltage of the inner rubber glove. Or you might still have to use specifically listed protectors?

Martin B

Thank you GoldDigger,

But this make me wonder about my leathers. The leathers we wear are basically just cheep leather gloves from a big box store. Should they be "Arch rated" ???

MD84

Those leather gloves are not voltage rated.

V rated gloves used for arc flash protection should be used with leather protectors designed for use and sized correctly for the v rated gloves. I have found that using the wrong leather protectors on v rated gloves can make them very difficult to work.

Give us some more details about what you are doing and what gloves you are wearing.

Many times the thought is to use higher v rated gloves than what is necessary. This can actually be a hazard.

What is the incident energy and distance at the location you are working?
What is the nominal voltage of the equipment?
What is the rating of your gloves?
What is your task?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Funny that someone said these were not voltage rated. They say "arc flash" and give the cal. right on the glove.

Now I don't know about this, just pointing out what's printed on the gloves.
35ZW92_AS01

kwired

Electron manager
Funny that someone said these were not voltage rated. They say "arc flash" and give the cal. right on the glove.

35ZW92_AS01
I don't claim to be an expert in details of this area at all, but protection from voltage and protection from arc flash are two different things.

You could wear stainless steel mesh gloves that possibly protect you even better then what you pictured from arc flash energy, but because they are very highly conductive are pretty useless for voltage protection as a stand alone item.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Ditto on the arc flash rating means nothing about the voltage rating. You don't say what voltage you are working but Class 0 or 00 rubber gloves with leather protectors provide AR rated protection and still provide dexterity. The rubber gloves with the leather protectors are good for 40 cal/cm2

MD84

I think your joking but I'm not sure. I did laugh at your response though.

I was just looking at my fluke to see if I could measure voltage in calories. Funny I could not find the setting.

35ZW92_AS01

wtucker

35ZW92_AS01

Those gloves are rated for arc flash, not shock. From the Informational Note to NFPA 70E, Art. 130.4(B): "In certain instances, the arc flash boundary might be a greater distance from the energized electrical conductors or circuit parts than the limited approach boundary. The shock protection boundaries and the arc flash boundary are independent of each other."

zog

Don't forget when you use gloves with an arc flash rating that the rating you typically see on an arc flash label assumes (Usually) an 18" working distance and as you get closer (Which your hands may be) the Ei gets larger exponentially so your hands may not be protected.

kwired

Electron manager
I think your joking but I'm not sure. I did laugh at your response though.

I was just looking at my fluke to see if I could measure voltage in calories. Funny I could not find the setting.
I couldn't tell you if the picture was a joke, but when talking arc flash protection we are talking protection from burns from the heat produced in the arc incident. That heat is measured in calories.

One calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise one gram of water 1 degree C.

MD84

I can see where those arc rated gloves would be useful. Working on the end of a shotgun would be a situation where one may need arc flash protection but is already suitably protected from shock.

I have worked in situations where the employer required using class 4 gloves while operating a shotgun. Some can pull it off but I certainly did not enjoy it.

fmtjfw

Dose any one know if these gloves are Arc And Voltage rated. I would like to find a glove that gives me better dexterity in one glove because I am wearing two gloves now (rubbers and a leather protector) and I can barely move my fingers.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/35ZW92_AS01?$zmmain$

What vcoltage are you working at? 500V/1000V rubber gloves and goat skin leather protectors, properly sized, have allowed me to use hand tools to change boltin breakers, and make splices using "#12 sized" wire nuts with no problems.

When I went to my last job they had issued linesman's gloves to inside wireman working on 600V or less. Totally useless. I alway used two sets, meterman's 1000V and lineman's 25KV for our overhead line work.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I can see where those arc rated gloves would be useful. Working on the end of a shotgun would be a situation where one may need arc flash protection but is already suitably protected from shock.

I have worked in situations where the employer required using class 4 gloves while operating a shotgun. Some can pull it off but I certainly did not enjoy it.

Working with insulated sticks, you can only utilize them as the primary protection from shock if the stick is tested for insulation value yearly. There is usually a test sticker on the stick and it should be wiped done with an approved wipe such as moisture eater prior to use. If not then rubber gloves are your primary protection from shock. Rubber gloves need to be tested on a periodic basis with 6 months being the longest duration. In the utility world, rubber gloves are usually tested on a monthly or bi-monthly period for linemen.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech

As far as voltage rated gloves, I was always told by linemen that they do not use gloves when hot-sticking because they want to be able to feel the "tingle" if the stick is leaking. Wrong?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
As far as voltage rated gloves, I was always told by linemen that they do not use gloves when hot-sticking because they want to be able to feel the "tingle" if the stick is leaking. Wrong?
All the lineman I know wear gloves when they are using hot sticks, not the same ones they wear when they are working by hand though.

MD84

Working with insulated sticks, you can only utilize them as the primary protection from shock if the stick is tested for insulation value yearly. There is usually a test sticker on the stick and it should be wiped done with an approved wipe such as moisture eater prior to use. If not then rubber gloves are your primary protection from shock. Rubber gloves need to be tested on a periodic basis with 6 months being the longest duration. In the utility world, rubber gloves are usually tested on a monthly or bi-monthly period for linemen.

Company standards can require additional requirements. Hot sticks should be tested on an annual basis regardless of whether or not insulating gloves are utilized. Typically a silicone wipe or otherwise is used on a larger frequency than every use. A clean dry cloth can be used before every use along with a visual inspection. The silicone wipes help to force water to bead instead of run.

Oregon requires gloves to be tested every three months. Some states allow gloves to go 12 months if they are not issued to service. This may have changed within the last few years for some states. Of course gloves should be tested visually and with a roll/pressure test prior to each use.

All rubber insulating gloves should be used with leather protectors excluding certain conditions were additional dexterity is required on lower voltage class gloves.

MD84

Sounds like some good Ole boys. Why would a person need to know if a stick is leaking while in use? I would much rather test the hot stick in a controlled environment.

I have heard of someone getting shocked using one that was contaminated with some dust or otherwise. I would think that wiping it down prior to use could have mitigated that. Depending on what contaminated the stick perhaps it embedded into the fiberglass. I did have an extending stick that visually looked fine but could not get to pass before or after cleaning and treating.

All the lineman I know wear gloves when they are using hot sticks, not the same ones they wear when they are working by hand though.

I prefer to wear class 0. Our company standard required use if insulating gloves. Sometimes we would have contractors on site who thought it was funny we would wear gloves while using a live line tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.