Commercial Oven a Continuous Load

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are installing a 208V 3Ph 189A commercial oven in our dining facility. Our engineers state it is a continuous load of 236 amps requiring 250A CB and 250's. We electricians say nameplate rating, non continuous 189A requiring 4/0 and 200A breaker. Just curious where we stand. Thanks in advance for your input.

iwire

Staff member
We are installing a 208V 3Ph 189A commercial oven in our dining facility. Our engineers state it is a continuous load of 236 amps requiring 250A CB and 250's. We electricians say nameplate rating, non continuous 189A requiring 4/0 and 200A breaker. Just curious where we stand. Thanks in advance for your input.

It would be very helpful if you could provide the make and model of the oven.

iwire

Staff member
I do not believe there is any NEC requirement to treat this as a continuous load like there is for say electric storage water heaters.

As far as choosing to treat it as one is certainly allowed and if the engineer is in charge they can certainly decide to do so.

Here is the NEC definition of continuous load

Continuous Load. A load where the maximum current is
expected to continue for 3 hours or more.

To me an oven would not fit that description as an oven cycles many times during three hours.

However an engineer can certainly choose to be conservative and decide to treat it as a continuous load.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Bob .. Usually these ovens would not be on at 100% since they have T-stats that cycle them on and off. In fact Tale 220.56 clearly states 100% for kitchen equipment other than a dwelling

david

Did your engineers state that it is a continuous load of 236 amps requiring 250's.

or did your engineers state it is a continuous load of 236 amps requiring 250A CB and 250's.

you state the name plate rating to be 189 amps.(non-continuous)

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need 4/0 wire to feed the oven, when 3/0 is rated 200A at 75 degrees?

david

I agree with Bob and Dennis, non-continuous according to the NEC.

I agree with that as well, my question was intended to address increasing the over current protection.

I was wondering if the OP was sure the engineers indicated to increase both. I think I would verify they met to increase the overcurrent protection before I upsized to a 250 amp breaker

This is the Aussie Brochure, Our oven is 68KW, 208V 3 phase 60Hz

This is the Aussie Brochure, Our oven is 68KW, 208V 3 phase 60Hz

http://www.rationalaustralia.com.au/download/SCC202E.pdf

Rational SCC 202E 20x2/1 GN We are in OCONUS, but our installation is on NEC system.

David, 3/0 copper would be perfect, my bad.

SCC 202E 20x2/1 GN68KW 208V 3Ph 60Hz

68000/360=188.8A

189x1.25(continuous load)=236A

So engineers said 250 Kcmil on 250A circuit breaker.

Our head engineer conceded our point today saying they had not considered the T stat.

Thanks for the input its great to discuss these among our team and your input is much appreciated.

I'll get my facts up straight next time ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.