Consequences of no Neutral Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldier_sss

Good Night Everyone.

Question ?

I have a 12kV : 440/240 Y : 1.5MVA Transformer and a 3w conductor connected between supply and load (armoring included)

The Load is an Asphalt Plant that uses app. 345kVA @ 440V, 3p.

I am concerned with the fact that if the Load is unbalanced, then how does the system compensate for the return current since the

conductor is 3w with no neutral.

Thanks for your assistance.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Good Night Everyone.

Question ?

I have a 12kV : 440/240 Y : 1.5MVA Transformer and a 3w conductor connected between supply and load (armoring included)

I am concerned with the fact that if the Load is unbalanced, then how does the system compensate for the return current since the

1. 440Y/220 does not exist unless you are talking about a high leg delta and that has to be four wires, not three.
2. If all of the loads are three phase and there are no fault paths to ground the only possible imbalance will involve different currents in each hot wire with the vector sum still being zero. You cannot have line to neutral current without a neutral.
3. Is this grounded? If so how? If ungrounded, even a single fault cannot produce current outside the three wire set.

soldier_sss

1. 440Y/220 does not exist unless you are talking about a high leg delta and that has to be four wires, not three.
2. If all of the loads are three phase and there are no fault paths to ground the only possible imbalance will involve different currents in each hot wire with the vector sum still being zero. You cannot have line to neutral current without a neutral.
3. Is this grounded? If so how? If ungrounded, even a single fault cannot produce current outside the three wire set.

Noted:

1. The transformer is actually a 416/240 Y.
2. The load is primarily 3p.
3. The ground connection is through the armoring only.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Noted:

1. The transformer is actually a 416/240 Y.
2. The load is primarily 3p.
3. The ground connection is through the armoring only.
The EGC connection through armoring only is probably fine. But is the center point of the transformer's wye secondary connected to ground? Or left floating?

You are not allowed to have any line to neutral (or line to ground loads) with this setup. If you need to feed 240 to anything you will need to add a transformer whose primary is line to line on the 416.
If all loads are line to line there is no way to produce any net imbalance. What goes in must come out and vice versa.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Good Night Everyone.

Question ?

The rest of the scenario notwithstanding, with two CCCs and no neutral there can be no unbalanced current because there are no line to neutral loads. Every circuit is a loop and the current in every part of a loop is the same.

Sahib

Why exactly??

Consider this scenario:

A plant with ungrounded power supply design for greater reliability is operating smoothly.

Someone enters the plant and proposes

I would earth the supply transformer star point to prevent the voltages floating to an indeterminate level wrt earth.

Does not that appear silly? :)

Why would a machine tool be ungrounded?

A machine tool in an ungrounded power supply system still needs to be grounded.

Besoeker

Consider this scenario:

A plant with ungrounded power supply design for greater reliability is operating smoothly.

Someone enters the plant and proposes

Does not that appear silly? :)
Leaving it to float to any voltage isn't just silly. It is potentially dangerous.
That's an avoidable risk and I would avoid it. So should you.

Besoeker

It is not a case of 'Just because you can doesn't mean you should'.

It is a case of 'It does' as it is an industrial practice allowed by the code.
For me, safety should be the overriding concern regardless of you may be permitted to get away with.

Status
Not open for further replies.