local inspector requiring fault current calc for panel change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I guess it didn't cross my mind someone would apply for a permit - informing the AHJ of work to be done - then just do it without a permit risking there license - being in a small juristiction the info brought to the AHJ just isn't forgotten or maybe he thinks they are to busy to care. Never treat people as stupid.

I am sure that isn't what he meant. He will need an inspection for the power company to turn the service back on. We are having some issues with one of the local building departments in our area. I wish we could just refuse to comply until the straightened them out. I understand the OP. Residential people want a good deal. $50 is a lot of money to many of them. Merrit Island is filled with retired folk. So you give them the best price you can and then some inspector wants to make your life difficult and add time to your job. It is nice when you can just walk away.

kwired

Electron manager
I am sure that isn't what he meant. He will need an inspection for the power company to turn the service back on. We are having some issues with one of the local building departments in our area. I wish we could just refuse to comply until the straightened them out. I understand the OP. Residential people want a good deal. $50 is a lot of money to many of them. Merrit Island is filled with retired folk. So you give them the best price you can and then some inspector wants to make your life difficult and add time to your job. It is nice when you can just walk away.
As long as that inspector is consistent and requires the same things for everyone, it is just a cost that goes along with the project that should be there no matter who does the job.

LOL!
I did decide to quit pouting and submit calculations, even though, Ive already lost my shirt on this job, and dont even have a permit yet!
Next time Ill bid accordingly. Live and learn.
Anyway, Thanks again, for all the comments. This forum is awesome for seeing different perspectives.

Voltage Drop Between Meter and Service Panel...For a Residential SE Cable??!!

Voltage Drop Between Meter and Service Panel...For a Residential SE Cable??!!

I'm with some of the other posts in regards to the SC calculation for available fault current. Although not necessarily commonplace, and often assumed that a worst-case residential fault current is below the typical 10kA SCCR on a circuit breaker; it seems reasonable to ask from a safety standpoint with an inspector that may not be necessarily comfortable with the above assumption of typical residential SCCR compliance.

However.... In my opinion the fine line between an overly-cautious inspector (often a pain to deal with, but actually a good quality/ethic) and one who is overtly way over-the-top (i.e. "You sir are a lunetic"), is breached when making such a ridiculous demand as proving acceptable voltage drop between a residential meter connection and service panel. Being this is a 100A service, were talking an SE cable between the two points being sized at at least #2 AWG (Aluminum), or if copper; #3-4 AWG to even satisfy the service ampacity requirement. Conductors of these sizes would require an extremely long run to even come close to a 3-5% voltage drop. Looking at the absolute worst-case scenario, you were somehow pulling the full service load of 100 amps on only one of the 2 hot mains at 120V (highly unlikely unless the load distribution is highly unbalanced (not a good practice in itself); a 5% voltage drop would require at LEAST 90 or so feet between the panel and the meter socket. Obviously in a residential application, this will never be the case. Even when the allowed 10 FT. of service cable (unprotected) has to be exceeded (w/ separate fused main at meter), its fairly seldom this has to be done, and usually requires at most 10-15 more feet.

My conclusion is this inspector is obviously not the one you want to have to work with on your job. Asking for something this ridiculous per your application essentially opens the door for "who knows what else" to be able to be passed by this guy once you're already invested further into the job.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
LOL!
I did decide to quit pouting and submit calculations, even though, Ive already lost my shirt on this job, and dont even have a permit yet!
Anyway, Thanks again, for all the comments. This forum is awesome for seeing different perspectives.

well, it's a service change. rinse, spit, and
don't do it again.

i just finished completely redoing my terms and
boilerplate regarding my work. i haven't had any
written contracts in the last three years, and they
have been my most profitable years at this work.

it cost $2,200 tuition to learn that some of my customers
are sub optimal. i've been blessed with the people i've worked
for and with up to now.

now, everything gets a written quote, with terms on it.
business as usual.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
LOL!

if you are lucky, you may yet get a chance to excuse yourself from this.
if the opportunity presents itself, i'd take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.