3 POLE DISCONNECT SWITCH FOR DUCTLESS MINI SPLIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aelectric

There seams to be more and more enforcement to install a disconnect switch at the indoor portion of a ductless mini split. I have only seen one 3 pole switch made by Leviton that could potentially be used. Many inspectors are requiring and inspecting these switches but may not realize that they are "non" grounded switches. They need to mounted in a metal box in order to be grounded. Problem is they dont fit in a standard metal single gang box. You can chip away the plastic tabs on the switch and bend out the sides of the box to jam it in there, but is this really what people are doing, and they are passing? Please someone tell me there is another way or another product? I dont want to start mounting 4" square boxes on the surface of someone living room. What am I missing?

mpoulton

Some, but not all, of those systems actually only require a 1 or 2 pole disconnect because the other conductors are low voltage signal lines, not power. For example, the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim systems have two hot lines and one control, and can be used with a 2-pole disconnect (at least according to the inspector on the project where we ran into this issue).

Aelectric

Has anyone found a 3 pole switch that fits in a single gang wall box? The Leviton does not. I think its true that you only need a two pole for Mitsubishi but the diagram shows a 3 pole.

Pizza

Has anyone found a 3 pole switch that fits in a single gang wall box? The Leviton does not. I think its true that you only need a two pole for Mitsubishi but the diagram shows a 3 pole.

Cooper Arrow Hart makes one I'm pretty sure.
cb7fbb5b16cbfe2cb7fc55ff3da1af45.jpg

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
In contrast, Leviton shows the MS303-DS as 2.03" wide and 1.51" deep; they don't specify the height, but it looks comparable to the Cooper Arrow Hart.

So since the Cooper AH7810UD is narrower maybe it would fit better in a single gang box, as long as the box is deep enough?

Edit: maybe not, it looks like on the Cooper you have to bring the wires in from the side?

Cheers, Wayne

Pizza

In contrast, Leviton shows the MS303-DS as 2.03" wide and 1.51" deep; they don't specify the height, but it looks comparable to the Cooper Arrow Hart.

So since the Cooper AH7810UD is narrower maybe it would fit better in a single gang box, as long as the box is deep enough?

Edit: maybe not, it looks like on the Cooper you have to bring the wires in from the side?

Cheers, Wayne

I know it will fit in a 1G bell box because I've done it.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
3 Pole manual motor starter

3 Pole manual motor starter

This is what I have used.

Attachments

• 3P manual switch.jpg
    3P manual switch.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
Status