Is this a 60A service panel for poco purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newservice

50 year old GE single phase 120/240 panel has two sets of busses, top set can place 2 double pole breakers, bottom set is fed by a back wired 60A double pole breaker.

So only 3 "operations of the hand" to disconnect the service, however, only a 60A breaker to handle all but the 4 spaces up top (which presumable could be the range and dryer). The SE conductors are 100A.

Questions: Does this meet the 100A minimum residential service size required by my poco?
Are the top 4 single spaces a violation as well, in that there would be no service disco ahead of them? Same thing arises with the old fused panels.

I already quoted a new service based on it being a '60a service' and the age, but this is something I've never really answered for myself.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Its highly likely that the existing panel is rated 100 amps and your service is likewise.
Those panels are called "split-buss" panels and were popular for a number of years although they are no longer allowed under 408.36 other than in existing installations.

newservice

Its highly likely that the existing panel is rated 100 amps and your service is likewise.
Those panels are called "split-buss" panels and were popular for a number of years although they are no longer allowed under 408.36 other than in existing installations.

Article 408.36 states that each lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard shall be
individually protected on the supply side by not more than two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard.

So , what then about the branch circuit breakers on the top bus, they are fed right from the line side of the meter..in this case there is NO protection on the supply side. I guess you could put a 40a breaker in and feed a subpanel and have your 100a service, if neither split bus is rated for 100a.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Your existing panel is covered by Exception 3 to 408.36 in a likelihood.

newservice

Your existing panel is covered by Exception 3 to 408.36 in a likelihood.

OK I just found this tidbit, exception 1 :
In panelboards protected by three or more main circuit Breakers or sets of fuses, the circuit breakers or sets of fuses shall not supply a second bus structure within the same panelboard assembly; a split buss setup would be the key example.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
OK I just found this tidbit, exception 1 :
In panelboards protected by three or more main circuit Breakers or sets of fuses, the circuit breakers or sets of fuses shall not supply a second bus structure within the same panelboard assembly; a split buss setup would be the key example.
Yes. Thats why you can't use that type panel today... but Ex 3 allows the existing one.

newservice

Yes. Thats why you can't use that type panel today... but Ex 3 allows the existing one.

For existing panelboards, individual protection shall not be required for a panelboard used as
service equipment for an individual residential occupancy.

What is the individual protection they are talking about here and how does this negate exception 1?
thanks

newservice

I guess I should clarify, the power has been off here for over 3 years, which triggers the poco to want the meter inspection. To me, how else would it ever get upgraded?
Not to mention the missing cover or water damage and rusty breakers and stabs.

newservice

For existing panelboards, individual protection shall not be required for a panelboard used as
service equipment for an individual residential occupancy.

What is the individual protection they are talking about here and how does this negate exception 1?
thanks
stuck on how this negates exception 1. There are 3 individual protections, one of which,60a, feeds the lower bus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.