Line side of breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

For an enclosed single breaker, is there a Code that dictates that the breaker must be fed from the top (terminals always energized) with the load fed out from the bottom (terminals de-energized with breaker open)? Thanks

iwire

Staff member
For an enclosed single breaker, is there a Code that dictates that the breaker must be fed from the top (terminals always energized) with the load fed out from the bottom (terminals de-energized with breaker open)? Thanks

No, the code allows feeding any direction unless the terminals are marked line and load.

If they are marked line and load you must follow that labeling.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(You might also check out related Art 240.81 referencing breaker orientation )

edit typo

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Might confuse someone how? Other than a backfed breaker, which is supposed to have a retainer on it, it's pretty easy to see which side is Line and Load on a breaker.
The OP was about an enclosed single breaker. In many cases there are lugs of both sides of the breaker and no easy way to tell line from load by just looking.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Even though it's ok per code, it might confuse someone one of these days. I can't recall ever having seen a breaker installed this way.
It might, but things like wire color or equipment orientation should never be relied on in the field....you always need to test.

kwired

Electron manager
If supply obviously enters the bottom of enclosure lands on bottom terminals and load lands on top terminals and leaves top of enclosure, and you can not determine which side is going to be hot when the switch is open.... you don't need to be in that enclosure.

templdl

This stuff may be considered as non conventional but allowed. But here is where the experienced and qualified electricians/persons come into play, those that recognize and do not assume. I have been in the applications and sales engineer's industry since 1982 and have have developed concern over the lack of the basic knowledge of some electricians and technitions which has raised red flags regarding their application knowledge. This is where the problems may arise in this type of installation. Even though it may not be required it may be a prudent thing to do is to mark, tag, label the installation clearly.

iwire

Staff member
I have seen panels mounted upside down, so the breaker was also fed 'upside down'. No vertical breakers. No NEC violation. Standard design for that chain of stores.

If there are no vertical breakers how do you even determine which side is up?

Typically that would be designed for mounting either way.

kwired

Electron manager
It is not my job to worry about unquified electrcians.
I agree, but NEC seems to want us to worry about them more in the past 15 or 20 years then it used to.:ashamed:

This topic is one area they haven't hit yet and maybe we better keep quite before they figure out we are talking about it:D

Status
Not open for further replies.