Plastic bushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Do you have to have a plastic bushing on a pvc pipe if romex or uf wire is going into a piece of pipe without a connector by code? This is 12-2 not big wire.

MiElectrician

I was using mobile home feeder in some pvc and it was damaging the insulation pretty bad so I ended up putting bushings on it. It's insulation is pretty soft though

tkb

Sorry, wrong section.

300.15 (C) applies to cables leaving conduit where there is no box.

"A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion."

Ok, I agree and change my position. :ashamed1: A bushing is required.

jumper

I am not so sure that a bushing is required for PVC in all cases, especially a cable through a sleeve.

300.15(C) says fitting not bushing.

(C) Protection.
A box or conduit body shall not be re-
quired where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing
that is used to provide cable support or protection against
physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s)
of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion

And a sleeve is not included in 352.46

352.46 Bushings.
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or
other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to
protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or
enclosure design provides equivalent protection.

Ans since OPs conductors are smaller than #4 300.4(G) is not a player.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I am not so sure that a bushing is required for PVC in all cases, especially a cable through a sleeve.

A bushing is a fitting. Look up the definition of 'fitting' in Article 100.

"Fitting: An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function."

jumper

A bushing is a fitting. Look up the definition of 'fitting' in Article 100.

"Fitting: An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function."

Yes a bushing is a fitting, but not all fittings are bushings. Why wouldn't a just a male adaptor be acceptable?

Article 300 applies to all of Chapter 3.

Imagine that.:)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

IMO, the use of "fitting" opens one to using PVC male adapters, PVC bell ends, and, in the case of EMT, knock-on Arlington "conduit cap" like the EMT50C that is shoved onto the raw end of the EMT

EMT50C.jpg

Also allowed would be go-froms such as
8600.jpg

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
IMO, the use of "fitting" opens one to using PVC male adapters, PVC bell ends, and, in the case of EMT, knock-on Arlington "conduit cap" like the EMT50C that is shoved onto the raw end of the EMT

EMT50C.jpg

Also allowed would be go-froms such as
8600.jpg

I have used both, so I agree about the two in the pic. I don't agree about using a male PVC transition adapter without a bushing because I don't feel it protects against abrasion without one. The edges on T/A's can be sharp!!. That being said, a PVC coupling is a fitting and would do a good job protecting against abrasion.

I think we all agree that no matter what the type of conduit or tubing, a bare end with nothing on it would not be acceptable. I think it's an AHJ call as to which fittings protect against abrasion and which do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.