Anyone know the voltage on a 120v battery backup smoke or carbon signal wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
So wire the intermediate relay to latch off and require a manual reset?

Unless I knew for sure that the boiler would not care I would certainly look at it.
Boilers blow up.
And if we're gonna make it complicated, let's make it complicated! :)

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Ok, so what devices would I need to accomplish this.:

1) Sm120x
2) Co120x
3) Stop/start switch
4) Relay for boiler

Would these work, or do I need more?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
For a residential boiler, all that's needed is to wire the two relay NC contacts in series with the thermostat. The boiler will shut off when either (or both) detector(s) is activated, and resume when they're both clear.

If you'd like a manual reset, install a start-stop pushbutton station & seal-in relay, and wire the two relay NC contacts in series with the stop button. Now the boiler will shut off when either detector is activated and remain off they're both clear and someone pushes the start button. Wired this way, the boiler will also shut off during a power failure and remain off after the power's restored.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
For a residential boiler, all that's needed is to wire the two relay NC contacts in series with the thermostat. The boiler will shut off when either (or both) detector(s) is activated, and resume when they're both clear.

If you'd like a manual reset, install a start-stop pushbutton station & seal-in relay, and wire the two relay NC contacts in series with the stop button. Now the boiler will shut off when either detector is activated and remain off they're both clear and someone pushes the start button. Wired this way, the boiler will also shut off during a power failure and remain off after the power's restored.
Ok yes I will definitely want the stop/start button.

1) Can you post a link for that stop/start relay? I am going to check the wiring diagram so I can pre-plan how I will go about wiring this setup, and order these parts asap.

2) I just wanted to say that the boiler circuit is on a different circuit than the smoke and CO circuit. That being said, will these items still work with what I am doing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Any & every relay can be wired in start-stop (seal-in) configuration.

It doesn't matter that they're on different circuits. Relays provide isolation between the device activating the relay coil and the device being controlled by the relay contact.

Here's one method:
This requires the START switch to be robust enough to carry the boiler current. If not, use a double-pole relay and put the boiler on its own NO contact.
boiler-seal-in-relay-600x273.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.