interlock kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have a 200a main lug panel i'm changing to main breaker panel to install interlock kit.But would still be a sub panel.Would this be an issue with the grds and neutrals being separated

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not sure I understand what you have in mind. You can certainly convert an MLO to an MCB. But if it remains a subpanel, then the neutral and ground bars in that panel must remain separated. Was that your question?

Welcome to the forum.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He's asking if he can install a generator back-feed breaker with interlock on the main in a subpanel when the service disconnect is located remotely.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
The neutral and ground would still have to be separated at the generator unless the disconnect opens up the neutral as well as the ungrounded conductors.

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
interlock

interlock

Not sure I understand what you have in mind. You can certainly convert an MLO to an MCB. But if it remains a subpanel, then the neutral and ground bars in that panel must remain separated. Was that your question?

Welcome to the forum.
Would it be a problem running generator (back feeding panel)with grds and neutrals separated???? thx

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
would it be a problem running generator (back feeding panel) with grds and neutrals separated??????

The grounds and neutrals are separated at the sub panel, but they are tied together at the main panel/service entrance.
Fig%202.jpg

http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/ma03/ma5.htm

This is a dated website. Please check for updates in the 2014 code book but I am pretty sure it has not changed.

AHJ will have a better answer then I will.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Will it work ? Yes. The breaker in the main breaker panel that feeds your sub-panel is the over-current protection for that sub-panel. Changing the MLO panel to a MCB panel shouldn't change the way the sub-panel is wired. Neutrals have to float and the grounds have to be bonded to the enclosure. The main breaker that you're using in the sub-panel now basically becomes a molded case switch (for lack of a better term). Rather than go through all the trouble of changing over the panel why don't you use one of these ahead of the sub-panel instead :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-10...uble-Throw-Safety-Switch-DT223URH-N/100151733

If you're intent on using an interlock kit make sure the one you pick is approved for use with the new panel you're installing. The vast majority of the EI's in my area won't accept the ones made by Interlockkit.com or other such manufacturers.

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
iterlock

iterlock

ok in a power outage ok , but doing a test that outside main at meter combo is still on when that gen is fired up and no interlock at meter main

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
interlock

interlock

i'm more worried about burning up generator, and installing a back fed breaker takes up too many spaces 6 to 10!!!

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If you're intent on using an interlock kit make sure the one you pick is approved for use with the new panel you're installing. The vast majority of the EI's in my area won't accept the ones made by Interlockkit.com or other such manufacturers.
Good luck on that. Square D makes one for their HOM line panel and I'm sure there's a few more out there.
But not many.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ok in a power outage ok , but doing a test that outside main at meter combo is still on when that gen is fired up and no interlock at meter main
Why would you need one if he is wiring the feed to the sub-panel through a main breaker (molded case switch) in the sub-panel ? The interlock kit or manual xfer switch will insure that there is no back feed to the utility.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good luck on that. Square D makes one for their HOM line panel and I'm sure there's a few more out there.
But not many.
Siemens makes one. CH makes one that the factory installs right to the panel cover. You have to buy the panel cover.

GerryB

Will it work ? Yes. The breaker in the main breaker panel that feeds your sub-panel is the over-current protection for that sub-panel. Changing the MLO panel to a MCB panel shouldn't change the way the sub-panel is wired. Neutrals have to float and the grounds have to be bonded to the enclosure. The main breaker that you're using in the sub-panel now basically becomes a molded case switch (for lack of a better term). Rather than go through all the trouble of changing over the panel why don't you use one of these ahead of the sub-panel instead :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-10...uble-Throw-Safety-Switch-DT223URH-N/100151733

I've put those in before, only problem the 200 amp transfer switch was a lot bigger and about $500.00

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. I just picked that as a sample. I just thought it would be a lot easier to install one of these rather than tear down and rebuild a breaker panel IMHO.

kwired

Electron manager
Would it be a problem running generator (back feeding panel)with grds and neutrals separated???? thx
Only time it is not done is with a generator/transfer scheme that is called separately derived system. In that scheme the neutral and ground is bonded in the generator and you must switch the neutral with the transfer switch - that can't happen with a typical back fed breaker and interlock type of transfer switch you must install this as a non separately derived system and there can not be a neutral/ground bond in the generator.

I've put those in before, only problem the 200 amp transfer switch was a lot bigger and about $500.00
Plus you need the space for another larger enclosure and some time and extra materials to install it. All you need with the interlock kit, even one approved by panel manufacturer, is the kit and at least two open spaces in the panel, pretty convenient if generator is small capacity compared to the normal supply to the panel as well, why buy a 200 amp transfer switch just because the normal feed is 200 amps when you are only going to have a 30 amp supply from the generator?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In thinking about this further, the OP was talking about a sub-panel. I assumed he didn't have a 200 amp sub-panel. That's what happens when you make assumptions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there a code issue with adding an interlock and back-fed CB in a subpanel that has a main?

Status
Not open for further replies.