NFPA 70E Energized Electrical Work Permit Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is not the correct forum to ask this question I'll apologize now, but I am curious as to how other people are handling Energized Electrical Work Permits (EEWP) as defined by 2015 NFPA 70E in regards to the opening/closing of molded case circuit breakers. I am trying to update our Electrical Safe Work Procedure and the way I read Article 130.2(B)(1)(2) [Energized Electrical Work Permit - When Required]- When the employee interacts with the equipment when conductors or circuit parts are not exposed but an increased likelihood of injury from an exposure to an arc flash hazard exists, it would seems to require an EEWP for anytime a breaker is open/closed regardless if the door was open or closed. At our plant we have operators that will open/close breakers as part of their job (i.e. switching pumps) and I'm trying to determine if this is a task that will start requiring an EEWP to be written. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
I tend to post work practice and arc flash questions to arcflashforum.com. They seem to have individuals involved with the development of or more familiar with the NFPA 70E, IEEE 1584, OSHA, and NESC codes and standards related to electrical safe work practices and arc flash.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
If this is not the correct forum to ask this question I'll apologize now, but I am curious as to how other people are handling Energized Electrical Work Permits (EEWP) as defined by 2015 NFPA 70E in regards to the opening/closing of molded case circuit breakers. I am trying to update our Electrical Safe Work Procedure and the way I read Article 130.2(B)(1)(2) [Energized Electrical Work Permit - When Required]- When the employee interacts with the equipment when conductors or circuit parts are not exposed but an increased likelihood of injury from an exposure to an arc flash hazard exists, it would seems to require an EEWP for anytime a breaker is open/closed regardless if the door was open or closed. At our plant we have operators that will open/close breakers as part of their job (i.e. switching pumps) and I'm trying to determine if this is a task that will start requiring an EEWP to be written. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

You need to do a risk assessment for the risk of an arc flash occurring while operating breakers. There is Table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(a) in NFPA 70E-2015 that would provide guidance on if PPE is needed for the task of operating a circuit breaker. Basically if the equipment is properly installed, properly maintained, all covers/doors in place and secured and no sign of an impending failure then no PPE is needed to operate that breaker or disconnect switch.

And I would agree that arcflashforum.com is an excellent resource for all things related to arc flash

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't have my copy of 70E handy, but I thought that there was new wording in the 2015 edition saying that were the breakers have been properly installed and maintained, nothing special is required for the normal interaction with the equipment. I understand the opening and closing of breakers to be a normal interaction.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I don't have my copy of 70E handy, but I thought that there was new wording in the 2015 edition saying that were the breakers have been properly installed and maintained, nothing special is required for the normal interaction with the equipment. I understand the opening and closing of breakers to be a normal interaction.

That is correct as long as the four conditions I listed are met:
1. properly installed
2. Properly maintained
3. All covers in place and secured. (all screws in place or latching mechanisms)
4. No sign of impending failure (hissing, arcing sounds, abnormal heat)

If all those conditions are met, then the breaker or disconnect can be operated with no AR PPE.

I would add one more condition - that the breaker/disconnect is not overdutied.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
That is the biggie, very few places can actually claim they maintain the breakers and the equipment per manufacturers directions.

That is very true. And for most molded case breakers the maintenance is turning the breaker on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.