A/C unit wire size and breaker size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris B71

Hello All,

I recently purchased a home that was built in 1952 and had my electrical panel upgraded and relocated. During the process, I was told that the A/C had the wrong size wire and would not pass inspection. He said it needed to be on a 40 A breaker and gave me one to use when I hook it up. This was in January so I just said to not hook it up. Now it's getting warmer, I took a look at the unit outside. It is pretty old. It's a Rheem RAFA-030JAF. The outside disconnect has 30A fuses and the wire is 10 awg. The nameplate says maximun fuse size 35A. Could someone help me with what wire size and breaker I need. I bought 8 awg but am not sure I need it. Thanks in advance!

iwire

Staff member
Chris, maximum is just that, the max.

Look at the unit for the MCA, or minimum circuit ampacity.

With that said

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Chris, This seems to cross the Forum line into the DIY field as it is not associated with your work and as such is against Forum rules. For that reason I am closing the thread but will tell you that the manufacturer's nameplate values are the ones to follow.

(posted on top of you, Iwire. sorry)

iwire

Staff member
Chris, This seems to cross the Forum line into the DIY field as it is not associated with your work and as such is against Forum rules. For that reason I am closing the thread but will tell you that the manufacturer's nameplate values are the ones to follow.

(posted on top of you, Iwire. sorry)

No worries, and it seems we were thinking the same. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.