3 phase feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahib

In that case I’d better send out blanket e-mail to stop the world wide production of spun iron pipes. Nearly all manufacturers use one of my duct tape and bits of string “out of the box” ideas. The first trial was a total bodge, it sort of worked so more trials were carried out. Once proved all the refinements were added. You have to prove a theory before you get any major backing.
Correct. His safety concerns are absurd at times due to nec blockheadedness.

iwire

Staff member
In that case I’d better send out blanket e-mail to stop the world wide production of spun iron pipes. Nearly all manufacturers use one of my duct tape and bits of string “out of the box” ideas. The first trial was a total bodge, it sort of worked so more trials were carried out. Once proved all the refinements were added.

You have to prove a theory before you get any major backing.

Tony, stop going off about things not said.

You may find it helpful to actually read posts before replying. :)

I had no idea code compliance was optional

I would never have done that

Things are quite a bit different here in upstate NY than you are used to. There is very little licensing, no/few electrical permits, and no/few inspections required. Im not saying I freely take the NEC as optional here, on the contrary I am usually quite strict, but the woman this was for owns half of Cooperstown including the baseball hall of fame and gave us lots of good work. She saw this tree lighting stuff somewhere - lights all up in the trees. A company from Texas does it. You would love it, SJ cord stapled all over the place. I would really have liked to see a tougher cable method up in the trees, but that wasnt us, that was Mexicans with staple guns, we just had to get power to the trees. So yea, digging up the front lawn of her hotel during the summer and killing half the trees in the process? False.

user 100

Correct. His safety concerns are absurd at times due to nec blockheadedness.

"Blockheadedness"??

What about legitimate warnings about safety and real potential liability?:)

You can't charge a theory or experiment w/ anything but you can sure charge and/or sue the electrician if he/she is found to have violated code/area rules if something happens.;)

Last edited:

Sahib

The risk is there

But take a calculated risk as in the OP's case.

For a code proposal for example.:)

user 100

The risk is there

But take a calculated risk as in the OP's case.

Right- it's his property, no poco connections.

Otoh, work subject to inspection /the other conditions mentioned by iwire above- you can get nailed if anything goes wrong and it's pushed.

Sahib

Sure, calculated risk taking should be at appropriate level of approving authority and nec blockheadedness should not interfere with it.

user 100

Sure, calculated risk taking should be at appropriate level of approving authority and nec blockheadedness should not interfere with it.

And a lot of ahjs agree w/ nec blockheadedness- and it has to factored into any calculated "risk" you decide to take on any work related job- way it is.

Think I've derailed Junkhounds thread enough, so I'm out.:)

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I don't really want to get into the 'does the NEC apply' argument.

I'd consider the following: You can use conductors in _separate_ non-metallic cables as part of the same circuit. So for example you could run two 12-2 UF cables side by side to have 4 circuit conductors in addition to EGCs, rather than cheating and using the bare wires as circuit conductors.

Since you control the alternator (rewound) and also control the load topology, you can split the load up across multiple cables without actually putting conductors in parallel (connecting them at both ends to form a single conductor).

For example: you could use three 12-2 UF cables to supply 'hexaphase' power from alternator to rectifier. This shares the load across 3 cables, but since the supply end is from separate alternator coils, and the load end are separate rectifier connections, the conductors are not in parallel. OCPD would be strange; I've never seen a 6 pole common trip breaker assembly, but perhaps the maximum short circuit current of the alternator is such that OCPD is not needed? (not sure if there is a way to get around OCPD requirement if the source cannot supply more current than the ampacity of the conductors...)

Or you could take each of the alternator coils and use it to supply a _separate_ single phase rectifier, giving you 3 separate DC outputs. Run these 3 DC circuits in separate cables, combine at the load end.

You might consider voltage doubling rectifier circuits, as another approach to getting a more efficient system voltage.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.