How to feed this machine....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Likely yes, but the other end of the cord must have a male plug that plugs into something.

So a few questions

so could I run romex from the panel to a receptacle for the soow cord with male plug to plug into?
do they have 40a receptacles? They're asking for 40a.

thanks

mstrlucky74

Because the code does not allow that.

See 400.7(B).

Dont have my code book so I'm reading bits and pieces of 400.7b from Google.
Question, why wouldn't romex be required to have a plug when be used for lighting stringers? They never do but according to 400.7b seems like they should. Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Dont have my code book so I'm reading bits and pieces of 400.7b from Google.
Question, why wouldn't romex be required to have a plug when be used for lighting stringers? They never do but according to 400.7b seems like they should. Thanks

Non-metalic sheathed cable is not a portable cord. It is intended and required to be secured every 4.5 feet and within 12" (going from memory) of a termination.

I would not use NM accross a floor to feed a demo machine. If the machine was far from the supply and needed power for more than a day or two I might use SER aluminum cable strung through the ceiling to a point near the machine, install an outlet and switch to rubber cord to run from there to the machine.

Now all that said, none of this thread makes a bit of sense to me as you are an estimator, not a designer or an installer. Why not ask the electricians you are estimating for what the local area expects for this type of installation?

I can tell you this, as an installer I pay no attention to what the estimators figured or planed. I follow the prints and my knowledge of the local rules and expectations. If that results in the job going into the red well, so be it.

mstrlucky74

Non-metalic sheathed cable is not a portable cord. It is intended and required to be secured every 4.5 feet and within 12" (going from memory) of a termination.

I would not use NM accross a floor to feed a demo machine. If the machine was far from the supply and needed power for more than a day or two I might use SER aluminum cable strung through the ceiling to a point near the machine, install an outlet and switch to rubber cord to run from there to the machine.

Now all that said, none of this thread makes a bit of sense to me as you are an estimator, not a designer or an installer. Why not ask the electricians you are estimating for what the local area expects for this type of installation?

I can tell you this, as an installer I pay no attention to what the estimators figured or planed. I follow the prints and my knowledge of the local rules and expectations. If that results in the job going into the red well, so be it.

Got it...this came up at a scope review. They said they needed a 40a fed for a brokk.
does NEC still apply to temporary installations?

__dan

does NEC still apply to temporary installations?

Saying it is temporary is a false statement. The cord with the male plug is temporary, indicated by the plug in easily removable connector. The cord only has to comply when it is plugged in, or about to be plugged in. The outlet it plugs into is part the the building's permanent inside wiring. Saying the outlet is temporary is false and will not make NEC violations now legal. Could you temporarily rob banks and knock over package stores?

mstrlucky74

At this point I have to assume you are pulling our leg.

Good luck.
Thanks for the subtle insult......but I'm not. I know or rather believe it does but I've heard many people say when it comes to code compliance ..."doesnt matter it's only temporary installation"

Status
Not open for further replies.