SEC and other cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

I pretty sure that SEC from meter to inside does not require protection from damage. However, I have other questions.

1. Can multiple cables penetration exterior wall in common tunnel?
2. Protection for the other conductors?
3. Support for most conductors?

Attachments

• DSCF5646.jpg
    DSCF5646.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5647_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF5647_edited-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0

iwire

Staff member
Man that is ugly.

The physical protection issue is entirely subjective under the NEC. Some areas have amendments or traditions that do not allow what your pictures show.

That said there are direct NEC securing issues.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Man that is ugly.

The physical protection issue is entirely subjective under the NEC. Some areas have amendments or traditions that do not allow what your pictures show.

That said there are direct NEC securing issues.

I looked at the pictures before I saw your post, and I was thinking the same thing, in those exact words! :eek:hmy:

One of us should be worried about the similarity of our thought processes. :blink:

TomY

I pretty sure that SEC from meter to inside does not require protection from damage. However, I have other questions.

1. Can multiple cables penetration exterior wall in common tunnel? Yes.
2. Protection for the other conductors? Don't really understand this. They are protected presumably by breakers in the distribution panel.
3. Support for most conductors?
They all need to be supported 230.51(A). This is an excellent example of poor work. The uf doesn't appear to have connectors the SER and SEU are unsupported. I would think any AHJ that looks at this would fail it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If there is any chance that weeds would grow in the dirt, that would get a red tag from me. A weed wacker will chew right through the jacket on the cables.
338.12(A)(1).

If the entry was not so close to the earth, I would not have an issue with it, other than the missing straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.