Old work box installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you permitted to install an old work box behind a finished panel if you can access for service per the attached photos?

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0

Cavie

Why not put the clips on the front side where they are designed for? then the ears on the device will be against the box and all is tight.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Ditto x 3.

Having access behind the surface that an "old work" box is cut into is a luxury, but definitely a non-Code issue.

I do agree that having the box mounting ears on the outside surface, just behind the coverplate, is going to make for a more durable installation by spreading the cord plug insertion forces out over the mounting surface.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Why not put the clips on the front side where they are designed for? then the ears on the device will be against the box and all is tight.

Looks like someone put their stacked assembly together then ....oops.... how do I get the boxes in the wall now...

Looks like someone put their stacked assembly together then ....oops.... how do I get the boxes in the wall now...

That's exactly what we did. Not my mistake but to do the final assembly faster by doing as much on the bench as possible. I have I have close to 1600 of the assemblies to do and making the stacked assembly on the bench and mounting it from behind the panel allows me a quicker final assembly.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Very logical, but any inspector looking at it could make a strong argument that the box is not being installed in conformity with manufacturer's instructions.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
That's exactly what we did. Not my mistake but to do the final assembly faster by doing as much on the bench as possible. I have I have close to 1600 of the assemblies to do and making the stacked assembly on the bench and mounting it from behind the panel allows me a quicker final assembly.

Loosen the plaster ear screws, slide off the ears, push the box through the hole from behind, reattach the ears to each box and then screw down the complete assembly to the pre-drilled holes.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Loosen the plaster ear screws, slide off the ears, push the box through the hole from behind, reattach the ears to each box and then screw down the complete assembly to the pre-drilled holes.
The slots in the ears go the other way... they allow a deeper, more recessed box installation, not shallower or jutting.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ahh! I see what you mean. You're saying detach ears completely... those are closed slots, so he can't just loosen screws and slide off. He'll have to remove screws completely.... from box and from box-mounting surface.... then re-attach to both box and box-mounting surface from front side.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Very logical, but any inspector looking at it could make a strong argument that the box is not being installed in conformity with manufacturer's instructions.

Honestly, have you seen manufacturer's instructions on installing old work boxes? I would like to see those instructions. I don't see any issue with mounting the boxes the way the OP did it. If the surface is combustible then maybe.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
He'll have to remove screws completely.... from box and from box-mounting surface.... then re-attach to both box and box-mounting surface from front side.

There are 1600 of these to install. Do the rest with the plaster ears on the outside of the box-mounting surface.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Honestly, have you seen manufacturer's instructions on installing old work boxes?

The box manufacturer's instructions will have nothing to say about the structural quality of THIS plastic box-mounting surface. If anything, the plastic manufacturer would be the source of instruction for the structural abilities of the plastic.

Frankly, I intuitively have difficulty feeling that two machine screw heads are adequate to keep the plastic from cracking / breaking from the plug insertion / removal forces.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The box manufacturer's instructions will have nothing to say about the structural quality of THIS plastic box-mounting surface. If anything, the plastic manufacturer would be the source of instruction for the structural abilities of the plastic.

Frankly, I intuitively have difficulty feeling that two machine screw heads are adequate to keep the plastic from cracking / breaking from the plug insertion / removal forces.

I. on the other hand think that with a nylon cover plate and the installation shown, and the likely flexibility of the plastic, it will hold up just fine. Too many people here, try to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... If anything, the plastic manufacturer would be the source of instruction for the structural abilities of the plastic.

I agree. I'm not sure who drilled the third and fourth box-mounting holes in the mounting substrate, but I suggest they be used.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd take apart what is shown in the picture, put the boxes in from the front like they are supposed to be. install all 4 mounting screws and use a rigid coupling and 2 chase nipples or something of the like to tie the boxes back together, not that it makes a hill of beans to me either.

JAP>

tkb

I wouldn't change anything. Once the device ears sandwich the plastic it will be stronger on pullout.

Status
Not open for further replies.