What size breaker can I use for this pool pump motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wire these pumps all the time on a 20A circuit and even wire in the heater on the same circuit with no problems. They typically pull around 15A on 120V, 7 or 8 on 240V.

You run the propane heater and the pump cord and plug to a duplex receptical? This pump running is drawing only 10 amps. But I was to the understanding it was the inrush on the motor which was in the 50+ range that caused the tripping of the breaker. I may be wrong on this because the op said he was going to have it on a timer after he got this problem fixed. So either it was on a timer to start and stop or he was manually controlling it by the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You run the propane heater and the pump cord and plug to a duplex receptical? This pump running is drawing only 10 amps. But I was to the understanding it was the inrush on the motor which was in the 50+ range that caused the tripping of the breaker. I may be wrong on this because the op said he was going to have it on a timer after he got this problem fixed. So either it was on a timer to start and stop or he was manually controlling it by the plug.

Neither the pump or heater that I was talking about are cord/plug connected. They are (usually) hardwired, and most of the time off a timer. Lots of heaters require a "fireman's switch" that shuts the heater off 15 minutes before the pump turns off. The switch mounts in an Intermatic timer. I don't know what the "inrush" current is on the motor but I've never had one trip a 20A breaker.

OP didn't say he was having a problem. I think you have your threads mixed up.

This conversation originated back in tap a talk chat available to smart forum users. Just filling some info. Apparently it is not part of the forum but appears to be when using the app

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Chad (Family Man) and the OP(bluecollar84) had this discussion between themselves as stated above thru tapatalk- an app for smart phones to use the forum. Somehow the tapatalk recently added a chat section which makes it look like you are on the mike holt forum talking to members but in fact you are not.

This is how Chad got the extra info on the heater etc.

BTW Welcome to the forum both Family Man and Bluecollar84 :thumbsup:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Chad (Family Man) and the OP(bluecollar84) had this discussion between themselves as stated above thru tapatalk- an app for smart phones to use the forum. Somehow the tapatalk recently added a chat section which makes it look like you are on the mike holt forum talking to members but in fact you are not.

This is how Chad got the extra info on the heater etc.

BTW Welcome to the forum both Family Man and Bluecollar84 :thumbsup:

Ditto on the welcome wagon. Now can we clear up why you can't put both pieces of equipment on the same 30 amp circuit?

Thanks, it is good to be in amongst those that are committed to doing the best we for the trade. Myself having been an industrial maintenance electrician for the last 3 years, and looking to start a small business after recently passing my master's really enjoy these conversations.
I see Dennis's point in being a multiple outlet 30 amp circuit allowed in this situation. For one it is residential and limits utilization outlets to 15 to 20 amps. And another is that a 30 amp circuit multi outlet circuit needs not have a 30 amp recepticle per 210.21(b)(3). That is why I thought maybe to hard wire it from a disconnect might be the solution.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ditto on the welcome wagon. Now can we clear up why you can't put both pieces of equipment on the same 30 amp circuit?

I am going with the understanding that the equipment is cord and plug. Now the equipment has a standard 20 amp plug and Table 210.21(B)(2) requires a 30 amp receptacle for a 30 amp circuit

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks, it is good to be in amongst those that are committed to doing the best we for the trade. Myself having been an industrial maintenance electrician for the last 3 years, and looking to start a small business after recently passing my master's really enjoy these conversations.
I see Dennis's point in being a multiple outlet 30 amp circuit allowed in this situation. For one it is residential and limits utilization outlets to 15 to 20 amps. And another is that a 30 amp circuit multi outlet circuit needs not have a 30 amp recepticle per 210.21(b)(3). That is why I thought maybe to hard wire it from a disconnect might be the solution.

I believe you mean it needs 30 amp receptacles

PS I promise not to call the spelling police on you :D

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am going with the understanding that the equipment is cord and plug. Now the equipment has a standard 20 amp plug and Table 210.21(B)(2) requires a 30 amp receptacle for a 30 amp circuit

OK, let's continue down that road. You have two (2) pieces of equipment, both cord and plug. You have a 30 amp circuit. The pump motor pulls 12 FLA, but might pull 30 for a couple of cycles on start up. The heater pulls 1.2 amps. Walk me through it. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.