Mixing GFCI circuits with non-gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
MOVs, Metal Oxide Varistors, are non-linear devices that can be thought of as voltage sensitive resistors rather than diodes.
They are still resistors at normal line voltage, just very high ohm. The incorrect choice of a varistor or piling many protected devices on one circuit could add up to more than 6ma and trip a GFCI.

At voltages above their "knee" they conduct very very well and can clamp a surge. A prolonged overvoltage will simply burn them out, so they are not good for lost neutrals, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Many electronic items have MOV's as about the first thing in the circuit in the power supply. They only conduct significant current above their clamping voltage. I imagine they may have very low leakage current and if enough of them are in the circuit you could have enough leakage to trip a GFCI.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My wife has an "outlet multiplier" plugged into our bathroom GFCI receptacle for the toothbrush, hairdryer and a nightlight. It's also a surge suppressor. Every so often I have to pull the damn thing out to reset the GFCI. That's how I know.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.