!!!Raceway Entrance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancho5000

Can someone tell me if there is a code issue with the entrance raceway and the exit raceway being so close to each other? I there a minimum distance they need to be from each other? Where would I be able to find this in the NEC?

Attachments

• IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 0

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Can someone tell me if there is a code issue with the entrance raceway and the exit raceway being so close to each other? I there a minimum distance they need to be from each other? Where would I be able to find this in the NEC?

there is a rule on 8X the diameter of the largest pipe, but
not with little pipes. if there were, a 4S combo wouldn't work.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Yes, there is a problem there.
That is an angle pull and by code for #4 and larger there should be 6x2=12 inches between those nipples if they are 2 inch nipples and if the wires are #4 or larger.
See 314.28-(A) (1) and (2) NEC 2014
Also that is way overkill on the box size......

iwire

Staff member
Yes, there is a problem there.
That is an angle pull and by code for #4 and larger there should be 6x2=12 inches between those nipples if they are 2 inch nipples and if the wires are #4 or larger.

I think we are looking at 6 AWG supplying a 60 amp outlet.

Ugly but not a violation.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
I think we are looking at 6 AWG supplying a 60 amp outlet.

Ugly but not a violation.

Ummmmm, that looks like a 200 amp inlet or receptacle to me.
And it looks like it is 3/0 wire with a 1/0 ground.
those are 2 inch nipples also at least the one through the back of the box.
I wish I could enlarge tha picture.
Can the OP verify the wire size and rating of the Inlet?

iwire

Staff member
Ummmmm, that looks like a 200 amp inlet or receptacle to me.
And it looks like it is 3/0 wire with a 1/0 ground.
those are 2 inch nipples also at least the one through the back of the box.
I wish I could enlarge tha picture.
Can the OP verify the wire size and rating of the Inlet?

Boy, I don't know, look at the GFCI outlet on the bottom right.

There is no way that looks like a 2" with 3/0 to me.

Maybe 1.25" with 3 AWGs?

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Boy, I don't know, look at the GFCI outlet on the bottom right.

There is no way that looks like a 2" with 3/0 to me.

Maybe 1.25" with 3 AWGs?

That could be a 100 amp inlet.
Appleton's site gives the demensions of 100 and 200 and there isn't a big difference.
We install a lot of 200 amp inlets on our shelters.
Even then assuming that is an 1-1/4 nipple there still should be 7-1/2 inches between those nipples.
And that doesn't look like it is.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Compared to the concentric KO in the disconnect directly above it,

My bet would be at least an 1 1/4 possibly 1 1/2" with 3- 3's or 2's and a #8 or #6 EGC possibly.

JAP>

plumb bob

Geeez! The installer could have at least used all that space in the box to loop the conducters around and reduce the bend radius. I guess an extra 18" of copper was too much to ask. :roll:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
use an LB & be done with it :happyyes:

Looking at this that may have been their intention the whole time, but when they ran the bit through from the inside all the rocks probably fell off the outside and they had to use this $ 200.00 Hoffman enclosure that will now not accept a backplate to cover up the hole. :)

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry boss,,, I'll make it up on the next one,,, that is if there is a next one for me....

JAP>

rancho5000

that is a 200a generator plug being fed by 3/0 and #2 ground through 2"pipe. i have already had my production crew replace this with a 2"LB. i went off of 314.28

jap

Occupation
Electrician
that is a 200a generator plug being fed by 3/0 and #2 ground through 2"pipe. i have already had my production crew replace this with a 2"LB. i went off of 314.28

So it's an outlet, not an inlet?

JAP>

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The typical LB has to comply with 314.28(A)(3) as they don't have the length that would be required by 314.28(A)(2) for angle pulls. So my question is, what was the marking on the LB? I have never seen a marking that said more than 3 conductors and there is no provision to do a field calculation.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
The typical LB has to comply with 314.28(A)(3) as they don't have the length that would be required by 314.28(A)(2) for angle pulls. So my question is, what was the marking on the LB? I have never seen a marking that said more than 3 conductors and there is no provision to do a field calculation.

We step our LB's up to 2-1/2 for that reason.
Also, if that is a 4 pole 4 wire inlet or outlet I believe the minimum wire size for the pins is 1/0. But I would have to see the paperwork that came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.