!!!Raceway Entrance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We step our LB's up to 2-1/2 for that reason.
Also, if that is a 4 pole 4 wire inlet or outlet I believe the minimum wire size for the pins is 1/0. But I would have to see the paperwork that came with it.
That can trigger another issue with LB about that size. 314.23(E) requires independent support of a conduit body that has a trade size larger than the trade size of the conduit, where the volume of the conduit body exceeds 100 cubic inches. Some 2 1/2 LB have a volume that exceeds 100 cubic inches.

Note, I have never seen this done in the field and I have installed oversized conduit bodies many times without independent supports.

Carultch

That can trigger another issue with LB about that size. 314.23(E) requires independent support of a conduit body that has a trade size larger than the trade size of the conduit, where the volume of the conduit body exceeds 100 cubic inches. Some 2 1/2 LB have a volume that exceeds 100 cubic inches.

Note, I have never seen this done in the field and I have installed oversized conduit bodies many times without independent supports.

How does the author of that part of the article expect you to provide "independent support" for a conduit body?

I've never seen a conduit body with fastener holes for independent support, and I don't see any part of the body that can be directly strapped to something else. The hubs on the body do not extend long enough to apply a strut strap.

Would they expect you to extend the conduit body entries with a full size nipple (possibly 3 to 4 inches in length), secure those nipples, and then reduce the raceway size external to the conduit body?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
How does the author of that part of the article expect you to provide "independent support" for a conduit body?

I've never seen a conduit body with fastener holes for independent support, and I don't see any part of the body that can be directly strapped to something else. The hubs on the body do not extend long enough to apply a strut strap.

Would they expect you to extend the conduit body entries with a full size nipple (possibly 3 to 4 inches in length), secure those nipples, and then reduce the raceway size external to the conduit body?

It shall be supported by two or more conduits
threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit
shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of the enclosure,
or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if all conduit
entries are on the same side.

Exception: The following wiring methods shall be permitted
to support a conduit body of any size, including a conduit
body constructed with only one conduit entry, provided
that the trade size of the conduit body is not larger than the
largest trade size of the conduit or tubing:
(1) Intermediate metal conduit, Type IMC
(2) Rigid metal conduit, Type RMC
(3) Rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit, Type PVC
(4) Reinforced thermosetting resin conduit, Type RTRC
(5) Electrical metallic tubing, Type EMT

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It shall be supported by two or more conduits
threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit
shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of the enclosure,
or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if all conduit
entries are on the same side.

Exception: The following wiring methods shall be permitted
to support a conduit body of any size, including a conduit
body constructed with only one conduit entry, provided
that the trade size of the conduit body is not larger than the
largest trade size of the conduit or tubing:

You left out the part of the rule that requires independent support for conduit bodies in some cases.
314.23(E) Raceway-Supported Enclosure, Without Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders. An enclosure that does not contain a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(s), a lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or identified hubs. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of the enclosure, or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if all conduit entries are on the same side.
While the exception will permit conduit bodies that exceed 100 cubic inches to be supported by the raceway, that only applies where the conduit and the conduit body is of the same trade size.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would not consider a conduit body to be an "enclosure" as called out in this rule.
A fitting, yes, but not an enclosure.
Take a look at the scope of the article and the support section.
314 .1 Scope
This article covers the installation and use of all boxes and conduit bodies used as outlet, device, junction, or pull boxes, depending on their use, and handhole enclosures. Cast, sheet metal, nonmetallic, and other boxes such as FS, FD, and larger boxes are not classified as conduit bodies. This article also includes installation requirements for fittings used to join raceways and to connect raceways and cables to boxes and conduit bodies
314.23 Supports
Enclosures within the scope of this article shall be supported in accordance with one or more of the provisions in 314.23(A) through (H).
314.23(E) Raceway-Supported Enclosure, Without Devices, Luminaires, or Lampholders.
An enclosure that does not contain a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(s), a lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering
raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or identified hubs. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 900 mm (3 ft) of the enclosure, or within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure if all conduit entries are on the same side.
Exception: The following wiring methods shall be permitted to support a conduit body of any size, including a conduit body constructed with only one conduit entry, provided that the trade size of the conduit body is not larger than the largest trade size of the conduit or tubing:
It is my opinion that the code very clearly covers the support of conduit bodies in this section.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
...conduit bodies used as outlet, device, junction, or pull boxes,

Just out of curiosity, what other uses of conduit bodies might there be?.
Note that all of those uses enumerated involve potentially applying force directly to the CB, beyond their role as a part of a raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just out of curiosity, what other uses of conduit bodies might there be?.
Note that all of those uses enumerated involve potentially applying force directly to the CB, beyond their role as a part of a raceway.
To support a fixture or device. Not sure they make devices to fit in conduit bodies any longer, but they did at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.