Main Bonding Jumper Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

New service equipment. Meter main(s), 400 amp, 1- phase, 240 volt with 2 meters and 2 breakers for duplex.
Factory installed main bonding jumper from neutral bar to the enclosure.
Separate factory installed ground bar is bolted/screwed to the enclosure.

My question is does a bonding jumper between the neutral bar and the ground bar need to be installed?

I think that there needs to be a supply-side bonding jumper installed based on Table 250.102(c).

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is a service panel then the neutrals and grounds must be bonded together. Since the neutral bar is bonded to the case then it is bonded to the ground bar. Problem here is that you cannot use the separate ground bar for any grounded conductors just for the equipment grounding conductor's.

I don't see a need to bond them with a separate conductor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is a service panel then the neutrals and grounds must be bonded together. Since the neutral bar is bonded to the case then it is bonded to the ground bar. Problem here is that you cannot use the separate ground bar for any grounded conductors just for the equipment grounding conductor's.

I don't see a need to bond them with a separate conductor.

I agree, EGC's are permitted to be directly connected to the metal enclosure which is bonded to the neutral via the main bonding jumper.

stevenje

I agree, EGC's are permitted to be directly connected to the metal enclosure which is bonded to the neutral via the main bonding jumper.

So in this case, the main bonding jumper would also serve as the supply-side bonding jumper. The factory installed main bonding jumper would also have to meet the kcmil sizing of Table 250.102(C)(1). Does this sound correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No other bonding jumpers are required. Connection solely to the grounded metal enclosure is permitted for the EGC's. If you had no wire type EGC's and only metal raceways serving as the EGC's then they would be connected only to the enclosure which is code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.