inspectors doing electrical- learned something new

Status
Not open for further replies.
This electrical inspector was installing new electrical in his buddies place with no permit. Then has the nerve to come over to me working next door asking to buy some breakers if o had them. This inspector wanted to replace an existing 2 pole breaker with to singles stating code did not allow a two pole breaker to protect single pole circuit.
The panel was service , no main and had six handles already and putting singles would put it over.

Then to further exasperate the situation this guy was telling me.

I AM AN ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR , I KNOW THE CODE

ok so go to the Frikin store do I look like the hardware store delivery man.

What nerve.
Glad I don't work anywhere near this guy's territory.

user 100

Huh?
I do not live there.

This inspector dude was working next door to the place I was at. He's a actual electrical inspector working on his buddies place, no permits, concealed boxes, too many breakers and no main...........

A fine example he is setting.

Not worth getting upset over imo- should have simply asked him in front of his buddy to show you where in your copy of the NEC/local codes such practice of using the dp is prohibited with the promise of -one brand spanking new shiny single pole breaker.

And then with you explaining the no more than 6 rule- ask where, in local ordinance (in writing) such practice is allowed- for- the 2nd single pole breaker.:lol:

rudiseldb

I'm the head inspector running the second largest program in the state of Oregon. We have laws that as inspectors we cannot do work while being an inspector. I would check with your state and turn him in if they have rules. Also in Oregon you must be a licensed contractor or work for one to do work. Of course you are required to have permits and if your state allows him to work he can't inspect his own work. Please go after him, those inspectors give the rest of us a bad name. I take great pride in mine and my inspectors doing the job right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
This inspector dude was working next door to the place I was at. He's a actual electrical inspector working on his buddies place, no permits, concealed boxes, too many breakers and no main...........

most.... if not all jurisdictions in so calif have a "code enforcement" aspect
of the building department.

huntington beach has a very enthusiastic one.

for instance, if you have a trash bin delivered to a residential address,
a couple hours after the bin is dropped, expect to see a city vehicle drive
by, seeing if there is any unpermitted work being done there.

and if anyone calls in a complaint about work being done, they look up on
the 'pooter the address and see if there are any open tickets there.... if not...

there's a couple times in my life i wished i'd made the call..... once woulda
probably saved a life. wished i'd a made the call.

most.... if not all jurisdictions in so calif have a "code enforcement" aspect
of the building department.

huntington beach has a very enthusiastic one.

for instance, if you have a trash bin delivered to a residential address,
a couple hours after the bin is dropped, expect to see a city vehicle drive
by, seeing if there is any unpermitted work being done there.

and if anyone calls in a complaint about work being done, they look up on
the 'pooter the address and see if there are any open tickets there.... if not...

there's a couple times in my life i wished i'd made the call..... once woulda
probably saved a life. wished i'd a made the call.
And why would I want to tattle on the job and get the homeowner in trouble. The HO probably thinks he is getting a real expert of all experts. The latter is my issue as this person has all the ICC certifications as a electrical inspector and does not know some of the more simple aspects.

I am thinking that letting EC'S in his region know that he is doing work without a permit will stir things up.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
And why would I want to tattle on the job and get the homeowner in trouble.

i had a job i turned down, fixing pool wiring, once. wouldn't touch it.

the homeowner got someone from somewhere to have at it.
sort of like this situation you described.

an 18 year old girl was electrocuted in the pool six months later,
and died.

that's why.

kwired

Electron manager
Was the guy working within the jurisdiction boundaries that he is an inspector for?

Even if not he should know better then to not get proper licensing and/or permits required where needed if he is an inspector.

Many jurisdictions would not tolerate that from their inspectors, if he is working in some other jurisdiction they may never find out though.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'm the head inspector running the second largest program in the state of Oregon. We have laws that as inspectors we cannot do work while being an inspector. I would check with your state and turn him in if they have rules. Also in Oregon you must be a licensed contractor or work for one to do work. Of course you are required to have permits and if your state allows him to work he can't inspect his own work. Please go after him, those inspectors give the rest of us a bad name. I take great pride in mine and my inspectors doing the job right.
Discrediting an inspector in a jurisdiction in which you work is like shooting a tiger. You'd better take him out with your first shot or he will have you for lunch. :D

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I don't know the law in Oregon, but I think it is likely you are misstating it and assuming facts not in evidence. The inspector was "working" on his buddy's house. Are you trying to say that an inspector can't do home repairs? There is no information in this thread that points toward the inspector contracting without a license. He may very well be, there is just nothing here that points toward it.

rudiseldb

I don't know the law in Oregon, but I think it is likely you are misstating it and assuming facts not in evidence. The inspector was "working" on his buddy's house. Are you trying to say that an inspector can't do home repairs? There is no information in this thread that points toward the inspector contracting without a license. He may very well be, there is just nothing here that points toward it.

Yes in Oregon by law the only one who can work on the guys house is immediate family members. We have strict laws here and if he was caught the first offense is $3,000. That usually gets reduced but I doubt it would for him. This is only if he was doing electrical work. Here is a copy of the law for conflict of interest.

918-098-1475
Conflict of Interest for Building Officials, Inspectors, and Plans Examiners
(1) A person with an Oregon Inspector Certification and an Oregon Code Certification may not get paid to perform or manage work regulated by the state building code for a company engaged in construction or property development in Oregon when employed as an inspector, plans examiner, or building official by the division, a municipality, or a registered business under ORS 455.457.

(2) Notwithstanding (1), a person hired by the division, a municipality, or a registered business under ORS 455.457 may continue to perform or manage work for a company engaged in construction or property development in Oregon for 6 months after hire only as necessary to complete or transition previously accepted work, if:
(a) The person does not engage in any conflicts of interest;
(b) The person submits written notice to the jurisdiction that hired them of their intent to continue outside work; and
(c) The jurisdiction that hired the person consents in writing to the continued outside work.

(3) For the purposes of this section “engaged in construction or property development” includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Designing, testing, or auditing of buildings or other structures, devices, and equipment regulated by the state building code; and
(b) Selling products or services that design, test, or audit buildings or other structures, devices, and equipment that are regulated by the state building code or that provide information related to the requirements of the state building code.

(4) For the purposes of this section, “employed” means working directly for an employer as an employee and completing a withholding exemptions certificate required by ORS 316.162 to 316.212. (5) For the purposes of this section, “paid” means receiving any compensation from any source.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 455.720 Stat.
Implemented: 455.720

user 100

The inspector was "working" on his buddy's house. Are you trying to say that an inspector can't do home repairs? There is no information in this thread that points toward the inspector contracting without a license. He may very well be, there is just nothing here that points toward it.

^^^^^^^^
This

That's the issue- is the guy only advising his buddy/ helping him swap out a brkr or is he actively masquarading as an ec and getting paid for his work?

If its the former you can't really run somebody in for giving bad/incorrect advice.

Last edited:

rudiseldb

Discrediting an inspector in a jurisdiction in which you work is like shooting a tiger. You'd better take him out with your first shot or he will have you for lunch. :D

Not if he or she wants to be unemployed. If you have code enforcement people you may do it without letting them know your name. Those inspectors give the rest of us a bad name.

Contracting without a license may be hard to prove. However working without a permit in this case is a slam dunk. Here in the Republic of California basically the only thing you can do without a permit is change a receptacle out or similar. You can't be adding circuits or new wire.

This yahooo weekend warrior inspector electrician was performing work without a permit. He knows better. But the law does not apply to home because he's a Frikin inspector.

I don't need to worry about this guy if I were to turn him in as he lives and works 70 miles away several counties south of me. I never ever plan to work there.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Yes in Oregon by law the only one who can work on the guys house is immediate family members. We have strict laws here and if he was caught the first offense is $3,000. That usually gets reduced but I doubt it would for him. This is only if he was doing electrical work. Here is a copy of the law for conflict of interest.

918-098-1475
Conflict of Interest for Building Officials, Inspectors, and Plans Examiners
(1) A person with an Oregon Inspector Certification and an Oregon Code Certification may not get paid to perform or manage work regulated by the state building code for a company engaged in construction or property development in Oregon when employed as an inspector, plans examiner, or building official by the division, a municipality, or a registered business under ORS 455.457.

(2) Notwithstanding (1), a person hired by the division, a municipality, or a registered business under ORS 455.457 may continue to perform or manage work for a company engaged in construction or property development in Oregon for 6 months after hire only as necessary to complete or transition previously accepted work, if:
(a) The person does not engage in any conflicts of interest;
(b) The person submits written notice to the jurisdiction that hired them of their intent to continue outside work; and
(c) The jurisdiction that hired the person consents in writing to the continued outside work.

(3) For the purposes of this section “engaged in construction or property development” includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Designing, testing, or auditing of buildings or other structures, devices, and equipment regulated by the state building code; and
(b) Selling products or services that design, test, or audit buildings or other structures, devices, and equipment that are regulated by the state building code or that provide information related to the requirements of the state building code.

(4) For the purposes of this section, “employed” means working directly for an employer as an employee and completing a withholding exemptions certificate required by ORS 316.162 to 316.212. (5) For the purposes of this section, “paid” means receiving any compensation from any source.
Stat. Auth.: ORS 455.720 Stat.
Implemented: 455.720

I am not sure what you are trying to support with your section of the code, but it states int he first sentence "may not get paid to perform..."

jap

Occupation
Electrician
This inspector wanted to replace an existing 2 pole breaker with to singles stating code did not allow a two pole breaker to protect single pole circuit.
The panel was service , no main and had six handles already and putting singles would put it over.

Did he offer up all this information when he came and asked if you had 2 1p breakers to spare or did you go look at it yourself?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If he put (2) 1p breakers in the panel with a handle tie, how would that put him over?

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.