Ground Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbolen

Why is a ground bar required. If you have machine screws bolting the ground wires to the panel can

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Why is a ground bar required. If you have machine screws bolting the ground wires to the panel can

Umm, multiple ground wires maybe? It's not required but it does make the job a lot easier. What would you rather do, drill & tap a bunch of holes for ground lugs or screws or just one to mount a ground bar that could take up to a dozen ground wires?

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager

Not required. Who says it is and what is their reference in requiring so? If a local rule then I guess you have no choice, NEC doesn't require it, it is just convenient in many cases.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe we're talking about in a sub-panel?

I assumed we were. Where does it say you must have a "ground bar"?

You can't land grounded and grounding conductors in same place beyond service/first disconnecting means of SDS, but there is more than one way to connect EGC's, a bar just happens to be a fairly convenient method, especially if the cabinet already has a prepared location to mount it.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It occurs to me that The Ground Bar would be a good name for a drinking establishment catering to electricians.

Status
Not open for further replies.