Connecting multiple evaporators on same branch circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

I can't find the section in article 440 for branch circuit short circuit and ground fault protection for connecting multiple AC units on the same circuit. So is this even allowed?

If I there's four indoor evaporators that draw very little current (1.5 amps each), it would seem wasteful to have to run individual branch circuits to each unit. I know article 430 allows multiple motors on the same branch circuit or feeder circuit.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I can't find the section in article 440 for branch circuit short circuit and ground fault protection for connecting multiple AC units on the same circuit. So is this even allowed?

If I there's four indoor evaporators that draw very little current (1.5 amps each), it would seem wasteful to have to run individual branch circuits to each unit. I know article 430 allows multiple motors on the same branch circuit or feeder circuit.

Do you want all your evaporators to stop because of one failure?

cppoly

They're for small offices so it wouldn't be a concern if a few offices fail together.

Not sure if I follow on the lugs point. Just one set of conductors would come out of the breaker and a junction box would be at each unit to tap these branch circuit conductors.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd put all 4 on a single 20a circuit, not give it a 2nd thought, and, let em rock and roll.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.