Condulet bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcole

Good day ladies and gents.

I have ave a metal condulet between two pvc conduits. There are not any splices in the condulet. Does the condulet need to be bonded?

I was was thinking since there are no splices that the condulet need not to be bonded. I cannot find code to back me up. The raceway system contains a 120v branch circuit.

jcole

Thanks for the reply Texie.

Can you supply code reference? I don’t have code handy but I do know that all metal parts of an electrical system that is likely to become energized must be bonded. The question is would a condulet that does not contain splices be considered “ likely to become energized”.

I agree that that it would be a safer install and I don’t know why they would not use pvc bodies but they didn’t. I am just trying to find a code reference that would keep a contractor from having to redo about a weeks worth of work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Devin gave you the code reference and it doesn't need to be "likely to become energized" to be required to be bonded. Just pull an extra bonding conductor in and terminate it at the conduit body.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How hard would it be to remove the conductors to the metallic condulet and replace it with a PVC condulet?

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for all the reply guys.

Would drilling and tapping for a bonding screw go against the UL listing?

IMO no. You're permitted to use the metallic conduit body with PVC and it's required to be bonded. Not many more options than the one you proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.