Routing ground electrode conductor in a conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi Gents,

How common is it to route a panel grounding conductor in a conduit that connects the ground rod to a power panel/control panel installed outdoors on a unistrut? Here the function of pipe is to provide mechanical protection for the ground wire and also as a means to provide a waterproof entry into the panel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
EE

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Hi Gents,

How common is it to route a panel grounding conductor in a conduit that connects the ground rod to a power panel/control panel installed outdoors on a unistrut? Here the function of pipe is to provide mechanical protection for the ground wire and also as a means to provide a waterproof entry into the panel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
EE

I beleive that a #8 for a gec must be run in conduit under all conditions. A #6 may or may not require a conduit depending on location. I have seen that enforced. I usually just run a #4 to avoid any problem. This is for 200 amp and under and the wire sizes I mentioned are based on copper

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I like the idea if it's subject to physical damage otherwise we just strap if to the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.