Walkin cooler evaporator disco

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have walkin cooler commericial whose evaporator is inside the cooler. The evaporator is hard wired to panelboard located in another room. I would need disconnect within sight of the evaporator I imagine correct me if I am wrong. I have never seen disconmect inside cooler but not sure what the code says . Should this disconnect be installed outside the cooler door or should it be installed inside right next to evaporator?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Which code section would this be under 440 or 430?

No takers? I am pretty sure NEC 2014 Article 440 would be used for condensing unit 440.14 says disconnect can be inside refrigration equipment. On the other hand 430 just says disconnecting means can be within sight of motors does not mention has to be in cooler evaporators. For evaporators I am not sure which article would apply 440 or 430?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I have someone that claims that by mounting disconnect inside cooler it might cause hazards to the walls of freezer. Is this even legmit for exception NEC 2014 Article 430.102(B) exception (a)?

Are they assuming a small panelbox screwed to the walls of the cooler (with a 1/4" space)? I'd assume the disconnect is a toggle switch in a 2x4 box mounted on the evaporator.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Are they assuming a small panelbox screwed to the walls of the cooler (with a 1/4" space)? I'd assume the disconnect is a toggle switch in a 2x4 box mounted on the evaporator.

I have asked what kind of hazard but have not gotten response yet. Its 208V single phase 30A non fuse disco according to plans.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inside of the box should be no different than a garage or shed here in the north where it typically gets down near 0 degrees in the winter. Those locations require nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.