Flexible Working Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Ummm, yeah. I would think so.

Funny, I just read a story in the newspaper about how NY City schools are going to be required to grant a HS diploma to kids who don't even attend school most of the time. :blink: Part of the "No Child Left Behind" Obama program.

-Hal

They may have been criticized, but previous generations largely became functioning members of society after graduating high school.

-Hal

I really can't stand this "kids these days" BS. It's just like all these other stupid untrue garbage phrases lots of people say like "they don't make them like they used to", " no one wants to work these days", blah blah blah. There is good stuff, there is junk. There are hard workers and lazy people. Same as it's always been........

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I really can't stand this "kids these days" BS. It's just like all these other stupid untrue garbage phrases lots of people say like "they don't make them like they used to", " no one wants to work these days", blah blah blah. There is good stuff, there is junk. There are hard workers and lazy people. Same as it's always been........

No. Much more so today on all counts. We have been going downhill as far as trade labor goes for at least a generation, ever since the mantra started about having to attend college or you are a loser.

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC
True enough but the ratio of hard workers to lazy people has changed quite a bit and so has society's acceptance of being lazy.

I think you will find that it's because of bad parenting, parents themselves being a product of the same system that created this mess. They just don't know any better.

-Hal

True enough but the ratio of hard workers to lazy people has changed quite a bit and so has society's acceptance of being lazy.

​​​​​

I don't think so. Pretty much same as it's always been. I looked back at the internet forums from the late 1800's and everyone was talking about everyone is lazy and no one wants to work on the farm anymore.....

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Thoughts???

This is monday, i'm so glad it's over because it's been an onslaught of humanity in every possible form, in person, text, email, office phone, Cphone ,snail mail.... etc

The little red light is still blinking, and it's 8:30pm here.....i'm outta gas....:happyyes:

Schedule?

well.....i guess i have to come right on out and say it......what gets YOUR attention? :roll:

~RJ~

SparkyTrev

I think flexible work schedules work in certain environments.
I started apprentice just shy of a year ago for a ME with his EC; we do service work for home warranty companies along with retail. Schedules are usually the same M-F daylight until dusk, but within that it varies based on when HOs will be available and how many calls I get that day. Some days Ill work 7-3, others 10-4, some days I start at 1p-job finished.
This work makes for a semi flexible schedule for me; calls are scheduled a few days ahead and if I have to make time for something important I have leeway.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

I think if you want to identify the most self indulgent generation it is the baby boom. They got a free ticket on the greatest economic expansion in history train that was built by their parents and went and squandered it all away on peace and love communes and greater drug use than had ever been seen before.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I think if you want to identify the most self indulgent generation it is the baby boom. They got a free ticket on the greatest economic expansion in history train that was built by their parents and went and squandered it all away on peace and love communes and greater drug use than had ever been seen before.

I listened to a lecture regarding wealth in America some time back.
starting in the 40s or so the expansion of wealth was an exponential rise.
sometime about the late 80s, the expansion of wealth changed and became more asymptotic.

The generation born about that time are are the ones with the “share the wealth” attitude.
the rich should just hand it over...

the other day Day there was a report on the government GiVING money to people. You don’t have to work for it!!

they are calling it “Universal Basic Income”, or “Freedom Dividend”

:eek:hmy:

Yeah and they got lots of pensions and stuff that is gone or greatly diminished now

growler

I don't think so. Pretty much same as it's always been. I looked back at the internet forums from the late 1800's and everyone was talking about everyone is lazy and no one wants to work on the farm anymore.....

I don't think that people ever got to the point where they didn't want to work on the farm anymore. What happened was the economy changed and they could no longer make living on the small family farm. Many of my ancestors left the farm and went to work in coal mines or cutting timber and each of these jobs is much worse than farming ( but it did pay the bills ).

When people left the farm they didn't go live in mom and dad's basement they normally went to a life that was much worse but they did it out of necessity.

g3guy

Yeah! We/Me that slaved on the old dairy farm 7 days a week in Westville, NY to bankrole those dirty hippies after they moved downstate.

Excuse my response as we are supposed to be the "silent generation".

Status
Not open for further replies.