AFCI in commercial buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am wiring a very small building that will consist of a small conference rm, small office, a small general use public info center and a restroom. Is AFCI required here?

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Take a look at 210.12.

I didn't see conference rm or office's and I believe 210.12 is for dwellings or dormitories only. I assume the answer is NO, AFCI's are not required in this application. Sorry for the lack of experience question. That is why I ask, lack of experience.

growler

I am wiring a very small building that will consist of a small conference rm, small office, a small general use public info center and a restroom. Is AFCI required here?

AFCI NO. ADA requirements. Yes. The only reason I mention it, it's easy to forget going to commercial.

growler

What are ADA requirements, by that I mean are your regular outlet height of 18" off the floor OK?

Is that 18" to top, bottom or center? On rough-in I normally go 20" to top just to make sure. That would put the bottom of the box at 16" and would allow for hardwood flooring. That's a little over kill according to some folks but it's better to be safe than sorry. Make sure the switch boxes don't get above 48".to top.

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't see conference rm or office's and I believe 210.12 is for dwellings or dormitories only. I assume the answer is NO, AFCI's are not required in this application. Sorry for the lack of experience question. That is why I ask, lack of experience.

210.12 mostly only applies to dwelling units.

Only non dwellings it does apply to are dormitories, guest rooms/suites or similar use applications.

Keep in mind a hotel, resort or similar is not considered a dwelling, but can have NEC defined dwelling units within it.

david

Is that 18" to top, bottom or center? On rough-in I normally go 20" to top just to make sure. That would put the bottom of the box at 16" and would allow for hardwood flooring. That's a little over kill according to some folks but it's better to be safe than sorry. Make sure the switch boxes don't get above 48".to top.

the reach range is 15 in to 48 in so you have to fall between those limits

Status
Not open for further replies.