NMB Cable In Surface Mounted Conduit In Finished Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,
I would like to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle about 10' from a panel in a finished garage. Would it be ok to use romex in carflex on the surface of the sheetrock or would UF be called for. I prefer the cable option so that I can fish it in the wall when entering the panel. I would guess that romex is ok inside the wall but UF is required once you leave the interior of the wall. I could always use #6 THWN in 3/4" conduit to fish in the wall to the panel but romex is usually simpler.
Also, this outlet is for a customer's Tesla. Would he be better off if the breaker was a GFCI?
Thanks for all the great advice.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No gfci is required unless you are under the 2020 nec. I don't think you will have an issue sleeving nm in carflex.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for all of the help. I am having the customer check with Tesla for approval of a GFCI. They make among other things nice lightning arrestors sometimes.
They better approve it, cause it will be required once 2020 code kicks in whether new requirement is truly justified or not - it is there.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have called Tesla in the past and there response was GFI protection was incorporated within the unit.

Jim

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What is the difference? Thanks...

The unit may have GFPE not GFCI. GFPE is ground fault protection for the equiment which is at 30 ma while gfci is ground fault protection for individuals at 4-6ma

I don't think there is a difference between gfci and gfi.... just a shorter way to say it.

kwired

Electron manager
2020 NEC requires GFCI protection of the 14-50 receptacle regardless of whether there is GFCI in the equipment supplied or not. Location based requirement with locations mostly same as 15/20 amp 120 volt receptacles have been in recent years, garage is in the list.

Ravenvalor

The unit may have GFPE not GFCI. GFPE is ground fault protection for the equiment which is at 30 ma while gfci is ground fault protection for individuals at 4-6ma

I don't think there is a difference between gfci and gfi.... just a shorter way to say it.

30 ma vs 4-6 ma. That's good to know. Thanks.

Although it is not code yet here in NC the customer opted to put the 14-50 receptacle in his garage on a GFCI breaker.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Would it be ok to use romex in carflex on the surface of the sheetrock or would UF be called for. I prefer the cable option so that I can fish it in the wall when entering the panel.

We have been doing allot of chargers lately, I noticed the wide box adapters for carflex don't play nice 'fishing' into a panel, I have switched to metal flex with a 'screw in type connector' when a kick 90 and EMT wont work.

284421.jpg

This way you can pull #8 THHN in the flex and go with a 50A breaker and a 10 THHN stranded ECG. Nice easy pull compared to romex in carflex.
Cheers

kwired

Electron manager
We have been doing allot of chargers lately, I noticed the wide box adapters for carflex don't play nice 'fishing' into a panel, I have switched to metal flex with a 'screw in type connector' when a kick 90 and EMT wont work.

View attachment 2551471

This way you can pull #8 THHN in the flex and go with a 50A breaker and a 10 THHN stranded ECG. Nice easy pull compared to romex in carflex.
Cheers
There are similar designed adapters for non metallic flex.

I will say that FMC probably still fishes easier then NMLT flex

Ravenvalor

There are similar designed adapters for non metallic flex.

I will say that FMC probably still fishes easier then NMLT flex

Thanks for both of those options K & T. Of both of the choices that you two have given me I think that I would choose the NMLT first. I like how fast it cuts and I like having the option of using either indoors or outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.