Moving to Florida from New Hampshire - what am I in store for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Looking at "retiring" in a year or so, so want to get things lined up so I can work as and Electrical Contractor in Florida. I know they don't reciprocate with NH or MA, where I have my Master's licenses, and it is a bit confusing when I research what is required. I think I have it partially figures out, that you have to have an Electrical Contractor's license through the state, and then it's not clear to me what is required in the various counties. I'm relocating to Lee County, and they have a website, and I found a form where you have to apply and they recommend being there for the meeting that happens once a month. I will be calling the Lee County authorities to find out more detail.

I did talk to one gentleman I just happened to meet today, and he told me he looked in to it, and it seems rather convoluted. He presently has a Journeyman's in MA, and works for himself. In MA, a Journeyman can work for himself and do electrical work, and can employ and Apprentice, but can't hire other Journeyman. He said that he hears once you pass the test, there are still some hoops to jump through. One he mentioned is that you have to present your credentials, and even if you pass the Electrical Contractor's Florida Electrical Contractor's test and passing, you can still be denied from being issued your Florida Electrical Contractors license. Can some of the Florida contractors comment on this. Some of my commercial experience goes back a ways, so are these credentials required to be experience within a recent timeframe, or does it consider you're whole career as an Electrician?

I'm just looking to work part time for myself, doing mostly small jobs in mainly residential setting. I'm not at all interested in seeking and bidding any commercial work - although I have extensive experience with commercial. I just want to cater to the average homeowner.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
You can get licensed as a master/contractor by Lee county. This will allow you to contract in Lee only.
The other method, which will be very expensive, difficult and time consuming, is to become state certified. All counties and municipalities must accept this in lieu of their local license by state law.
Mike Holt's organization is the king of getting counsel on whether you would qualify for a state license in Florida and runs the best state level prep course there is.

anthonysolino

You can get licensed as a master/contractor by Lee county. This will allow you to contract in Lee only.
The other method, which will be very expensive, difficult and time consuming, is to become state certified. All counties and municipalities must accept this in lieu of their local license by state law.
Mike Holt's organization is the king of getting counsel on whether you would qualify for a state license in Florida and runs the best state level prep course there is.
im in process of doing the state certified exam right now its really not that bad honestly. its only 100 questions for technical and safety and 50 for business and finance, forum an LLC- get insurance-workers comp exempt cause you work for your self- 660 credit score- 10,000 in net worth (or get a bond) then 800,000 in combined coverage for insurance. its not that bad its just time consuming.

bjp_ne_elec

Texie - thanks for the reply. When I called the Lee County office I got told that they require a Florida EC license. Can you point me to something that shows the steps to get licensed in Lee County. The only form I could find, I was told it was for seeking to be accepted by the board and would only allow me to work as a Journeyman for another contractor. I would be content if I could just be licensed to do work in Lee County. I seem to get different answers on the 2-3 times I've called them. Maybe you have a name of the best person I could talk to there?

Thanks

bjp_ne_elec

im in process of doing the state certified exam right now its really not that bad honestly. its only 100 questions for technical and safety and 50 for business and finance, forum an LLC- get insurance-workers comp exempt cause you work for your self- 660 credit score- 10,000 in net worth (or get a bond) then 800,000 in combined coverage for insurance. its not that bad its just time consuming.

Anthony - for the experience portion, does it focus on you most recent work activities or does it take your whole career under consideration. Is there a form I can get a copy of to look it over, that covers this. In the early part of my career I did nothing but commercial and all jobs were 3-phase. Heck one was working for two years in a nuclear power plant that was under construction in Oswego, NY - Nine Mile Point II. I like a challenge but don't want to put the initial effort in if I'm going to be denied because my last 7 years, while I had my own business in NH was limited to light commercial and residential. For the 100 question test, how long do they give you to complete the test? If I remember correctly, my NH Master's test was 2 hours.

anthonysolino

Anthony - for the experience portion, does it focus on you most recent work activities or does it take your whole career under consideration. Is there a form I can get a copy of to look it over, that covers this. In the early part of my career I did nothing but commercial and all jobs were 3-phase. Heck one was working for two years in a nuclear power plant that was under construction in Oswego, NY - Nine Mile Point II. I like a challenge but don't want to put the initial effort in if I'm going to be denied because my last 7 years, while I had my own business in NH was limited to light commercial and residential. For the 100 question test, how long do they give you to complete the test? If I remember correctly, my NH Master's test was 2 hours.

they do, so for mine I just reached out to all my past contractors, some of which I had no w2's for so they wrote me a letter stating how many hours I worked for them, the state is looking for 6000 hours of experience, or a combination of other items like management experience, Forman, things like that. being you have been in this industry so long you have nothing to worry about for qualifying, and for the exam they give you a list of books you need to purchase, its open book for both parts, the list in the booklet pdf I posted of the items. I believe they are looking for 40% of the experience in 3 phase systems. you don't get denied they just won't observe your journeymen license here as a contractors license. Florida we have the exams that qualify some one for this.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Texie - thanks for the reply. When I called the Lee County office I got told that they require a Florida EC license. Can you point me to something that shows the steps to get licensed in Lee County. The only form I could find, I was told it was for seeking to be accepted by the board and would only allow me to work as a Journeyman for another contractor. I would be content if I could just be licensed to do work in Lee County. I seem to get different answers on the 2-3 times I've called them. Maybe you have a name of the best person I could talk to there?

Thanks
It's been a long time since I was licensed in FL so I may be out of touch. I could be that Lee no longer issues local master/contractor licenses. If you qualify, the best route is to get a state unlimited.
I would reach out to Mike Holt staff for guidance.

oldsparky52

Looking at "retiring" in a year or so, so want to get things lined up so I can work as and Electrical Contractor in Florida.

Dave
Dave, I know you didn't ask for this comment, but if you are going to "retire", then maybe you should "retire". IMO, you will not like moving into residential from commercial, and I think you will dislike it even more because of the heat.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
660 credit score- 10,000 in net worth (or get a bond)...

It's ridiculous that they require a minimum credit score. For what purpose? And I can say that there are a few guys starting out that don't have $10K in the bank. Does any other state or jurisdiction look at your credit score? I thought it was bad enough that NY want's to know that you are up to date with your child support payments or no license for you.

Gee, if a guy can't work how is he going to pay?

-Hal

anthonysolino

It's ridiculous that they require a minimum credit score. For what purpose? And I can say that there are a few guys starting out that don't have $10K in the bank. Does any other state or jurisdiction look at your credit score? I thought it was bad enough that NY want's to know that you are up to date with your child support payments or no license for you.

-Hal

its an either or situation, if you don't have the credit or the money you need to get a bond to satisfy the sates requirement. honestly I know it seems intrusive but at the same token, we have problems with "hurricane contractors" coming down here and taking advantage of the public. they try to make it a little tough to obtain the license.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Another thing to consider, the pay scale is nothing like it is up north, one of the reasons is, a lot of people doing what you are wanting to do. Florida is overrun with retired electricians! LOL! I have a Florida Journeyman’s license, (Tallahassee) supposed to work everywhere down there except for the country of Dade county. I would think the contractors license would be the same.

anthonysolino

Another thing to consider, the pay scale is nothing like it is up north, one of the reasons is, a lot of people doing what you are wanting to do. Florida is overrun with retired electricians! LOL! I have a Florida Journeyman’s license, (Tallahassee) supposed to work everywhere down there except for the country of Dade county. I would think the contractors license would be the same.
your license will allow you to work where ever but you can not contract work or pull permits with a "journeymen card" the Journeymen thing hold zero value as far as contracting goes, its not even mentioned in the contractors manual, only registered and certified which are both proctored exams, registered- given by a local authority, certified being state wide. actually its not too bad, I mean its lower, I work service not new construction the pay for new work is pretty low but service pays a living here, least where I am.

hillbilly1

Occupation
your license will allow you to work where ever but you can not contract work or pull permits with a "journeymen card" the Journeymen thing hold zero value as far as contracting goes, its not even mentioned in the contractors manual, only registered and certified which are both proctored exams, registered- given by a local authority, certified being state wide. actually its not too bad, I mean its lower, I work service not new construction the pay for new work is pretty low but service pays a living here, least where I am.
Yeah, I knew it wasn’t good for contracting, the test was almost the duplicate of the one I took for my Evansville, Indiana masters.

anthonysolino

Might I add theres zero state requirement that forces some one to have a journeymen license to be an electrician, you can walk in off the street and have a contractor hire you and perform electrical work,

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here is a link to the Florida Department of Professional Regulation. They are the ones that issue the state-wide licences. Unless they have changed it since last I looked, all your questions should be answered here. Yes, the individual counties also issue licenses that allow work just in that county.

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/

hillbilly1

Occupation

-Hal
North Carolina is the same way, you have to prove your financially able to do the work before they will give you a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.