Making Holes inside the main residential service panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncity

Occupation
Electrician
Failed inspection for making holes on the side of the electrical panel to run conduit for the AC disconnect. So I changed it and made a hole at the bottom of the panel for the AC disconnect. Now the inspector is asking now for the 3rd party ul to list the panel even after I sealed the old holes. Any Idea how I can convince him that no need for that or what has to be done as far listed the panel?

Failed inspection for making holes on the side of the electrical panel to run conduit for the AC disconnect. So I changed it and made a hole at the bottom of the panel for the AC disconnect. Now the inspector is asking now for the 3rd party ul to list the panel even after I sealed the old holes. Any Idea how I can convince him that no need for that or what has to be done as far listed the panel?
Wow, just wow. Perhaps you can ask him what the hell factory order panelboards that don't come with any knockouts are for, to hang on the wall and look at?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Is this an exterior panel and was the hole drilled above the level of the bussbar?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't know where these idiots come from or what credentials they have to have to be an inspector but it's a shame they are out there.
With that said contact the manufacturer of the loadcenter and explain your situation, they will be happy to help.

Roger

suncity

Occupation
Electrician
That's what happened after a long argument with the inspector, They claim if you modify the panel it will not be UL listed anymore. I did it before several times in different cities But this inspector claim it is wrong and should be tested by UL which will cost about $1300

The hole was drilled on the side of the panel, not across the busbar.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Once again, contact the manufacturer and ask them to send you a letter. It sounds as though you are mostly residential using standard loadcenters but as Electrofelon stated in post #2, commercial panelboard cabinets do not have pre punched KO's so what would your inspector say to that?

Roger

synchro

Occupation
EE
I don't see where the OP stated it was a 3R panel.
Correct. That's why I said "So if the OP has a 3R enclosure ...". I suspect Dennis raised his question below to see if the 3R requirement on hole location might be a source of the inspector's confusion. But Dennis would have to speak to that himself.

Is this an exterior panel and was the hole drilled above the level of the bussbar?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How many AC disconnects aren't 3R? Like, aren't ACs outside?
The disconnect doesn't appear to be the problem. The main panel might be inside or outside, the OP didn't say but in any case a knock out could be pulled in either.

Roger

480sparky

So if the hole is in the panel, and the panel is inside, and it's a type 1 enclosure, you can punch an hole 'pert near everywhere.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Indoor or outdoor it doesn't matter you can make holes anywhere you like in an electrical panel. Where do they find these inspectors. :rolleyes:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I agree with the rest of us; this is ridiculous. I would contact the panel manufacturer, with pictures, and ask them to inform you (and the inspector) that what you did was not outside their approved methods of connecting conduit to their enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.