PVC in concrete slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyV

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

Curious what the minimum depth of PVC in a concrete slab for a new building would be? Seems 300.5 covers burial requirements under a building, but would wouldn't this technically be "in the building" because it is not under the slab? 352 speaks of 300.5 and 300.50, but the PVC to be installed on the job is 120/240v so 300.50 does not apply. Also don't see anything clear cut in 352 besides the mention of 300.5.

Thanks,
V

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There is quite a bit of conduit poured IN slabs. No burial depth requirements as stated above.

SparkyV

Occupation
Electrician
Always thought there would be some measurement or clarification as to "in slab" being considered under a building. I appreciate the input, have a great day.

Thanks,
V

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If it is in the concrete slab it is not buried. there are some rules about how much of the thickness of the slab can be taken up by the PVC conduit. Those rules are not found in the NEC though.

Gary11734

Rule of thumb these days;
2" Separation between pipes
No more than one third the size of the conduit compared to the thickness of the slab.
Minimum 2" from the deck and two inches from the top of the slab.
3" separation between sleeves

On a Hotel right now at Disneyworld. These are the rules

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rule of thumb these days;
2" Separation between pipes
No more than one third the size of the conduit compared to the thickness of the slab.
Minimum 2" from the deck and two inches from the top of the slab.
3" separation between sleeves

On a Hotel right now at Disneyworld. These are the rules

I've seen similar things in the spec for a job but not one of those requirements is in the NEC. :)

Gary11734

I've seen similar things in the spec for a job but not one of those requirements is in the NEC. :)
We followed the 1/3 rule since I've been in the trade since 1972. The rest is new... No, none in the NEC. From the structural side inspections. They are spooked if any conduit is in the slabs these days...

Gary11734

Oh ok The Cove?

We go to Disney quite a bit so I’m always interested in what’s new down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it's being built right next to the Fantasia Mini Golf. In fact, they moved the parking to the golf and removed the tennis courts to build the building on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.