Washington 02 (Residential) Test Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtspilot

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Folks,

I will soon be taking my first ever electrical test soon - going for an "02 Residential" certification here in Washington State. I have a question for those who have gone before me on this path.

In the PSI (the testing company) testing documentation and elsewhere on the internet, it seems to be alluded to that you can pass "sections" of the test, and fail others (of course) - and then only have to re-take the sections you failed at a later date. Is this correct?

For instance, you take the test and pass the NEC 100-110 "General Requirements" section, but fail the "NEC 517-590 "Special Occupancy" section. At that point, do you only need to re-take only the NEC 517-590 "Special Occupancy" section? Or is it an all-or-nothing affair at each sitting where you have to retake the entire test later?

My guess is the latter, but I would love to know in advance as it might take some of the pressure off a bit.

Thanks for any and all information you would throw my way.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I may suggest, try a different tack: skip over individual questions you can't answer quickly, and come back if/when you have time. That gives you the best quantity of answered questions, and correctly if you know the material.

I think you should hall PSI and ask them your question. Does "may" mean might or allowed?

rtspilot

Occupation
Electrician
If I may suggest, try a different tack: skip over individual questions you can't answer quickly, and come back if/when you have time. That gives you the best quantity of answered questions, and correctly if you know the material.

I think you should hall PSI and ask them your question. Does "may" mean might or allowed?
Hi Larry,

I think I am going to re-word the post to make my question clearer. See the above edit. I will take your advice however, and come back to the tougher questions after going through them all. It's a good strategy.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback! :)

Hi Folks,

I will soon be taking my first ever electrical test soon - going for an "02 Residential" certification here in Washington State. I have a question for those who have gone before me on this path.

In the PSI (the testing company) testing documentation and elsewhere on the internet, it seems to be alluded to that you can pass "sections" of the test, and fail others (of course) - and then only have to re-take the sections you failed at a later date. Is this correct?

For instance, you take the test and pass the NEC 100-110 "General Requirements" section, but fail the "NEC 517-590 "Special Occupancy" section. At that point, do you only need to re-take only the NEC 517-590 "Special Occupancy" section? Or is it an all-or-nothing affair at each sitting where you have to retake the entire test later?

My guess is the latter, but I would love to know in advance as it might take some of the pressure off a bit.

Thanks for any and all information you would throw my way.
You are sort of correct. There are several different sections of the exam, depending in the license: NEC codes, wac codes, and load calcs. You could pass one of these and fail another and only have to take the one you failed again. The NEC section is not broken up in article chunks that you can pass individually however.

M.E.T

NEC section is pass or fail 70%
RCW/WAC is pass or fail. 70%

If you pass one, you have 1 year to pass the other one. Or you will have to retake both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The pass rate for the 02 is around 22%, I am sure you will do better, but many are not prepared. There is also a section on theory.
My suggestion is to do 100-200 questions a week for review, 10-20 hours. Take a firms fast finder or uglys with you in addition to the NEC and RCW/WAC
PSI has a candidates information sheet that tells you what articles and how many questions there are.
You are tested on your scope of work, not what you do on the job. There will be questions on hazardous locations and if you don't understand why those are on the exam, ask here and I can explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.