Solve This Service Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Bad idea. Breaker #11 is a 20a with 12ga wire, Breaker #14 is a 15a on 14ga.

Well, given that one circuit is for Kitchen Receptacles, and the other is for Kitchen Lighting... think about where, in a typical kitchen, those two circuits would share a box.
then feed it from the 15 amp supply, its just a quick solution until the actual problem is resolved, maybe the customers frig needs to run.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Bad idea. Breaker #11 is a 20a with 12ga wire, Breaker #14 is a 15a on 14ga.

Well, given that one circuit is for Kitchen Receptacles, and the other is for Kitchen Lighting... think about where, in a typical kitchen, those two circuits would share a box.
Garbage disposer switch- sink light. at least you know the problem is roughly within 15 ft of the kitchen.

480sparky

then feed it from the 15 amp supply, its just a quick solution until the actual problem is resolved, maybe the customers frig needs to run.

Code violation if you use a 15a circuit to feed countertop receps.

Garbage disposer switch- sink light. at least you know the problem is roughly within 15 ft of the kitchen.

To the right of the sink is a stacked switch. Top switch is can light over sink, bottom switch is disposal.

Another C10

Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Code violation if you use a 15a circuit to feed countertop receps.

To the right of the sink is a stacked switch. Top switch is can light over sink, bottom switch is disposal.
again quick solution not permanent .. they forgot to break the hot tab of the stacked switch.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
BINGO! Kitchen was remodeled two years ago. No electrician was hired to change devices from ivory to white. Whoever did so just copied the wiring from the old stack switch to the new one, not breaking the tab to separate the two switches.

About three pages ago, I was thinking two circuits on the same yoke, device replaced without breaking the tab, but I kept thinking receptacle. Forgot that stacked switches also had tabs, and I was holding one in my hand at the store a few days ago. :rolleyes:

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
Those were his words.... a switch causes half the lights to go out.

So here's one lesson: Take what the customer says, not with a grain of salt but an entire block.

It’s the same thing with other trade workers or even apprentices. You have to start your own troubleshooting or you’ll end up as confused as they are. One time I traced a wire around all over an office space and skipped taking panel cover off and checking the breaker, because the building mechanic told me that some receptacles in the circuit were working. Those receptacles were on a different breaker and the circuit having issues was open but the breaker didn’t look or felt tripped. When I turned it off and back on. Boom circuit came back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Those were his words.... a switch causes half the lights to go out.

So here's one lesson: Take what the customer says, not with a grain of salt but an entire block.
Is a breaker not a switch? The other switch with NCVT reading was just something that concerned him why it was doing that, you were right that it wasn't much of a factor in his other problem but he didn't necessarily know that.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just had one where the servers would crash every time the generator transfered. Started right after they installed a new ups, so they suspected that. Go through everything they did, couldn’t find anything wrong, what they didn’t mention, was they installed new “circuits” and receptacles for the servers. After transferring to generator, half the rack went down including the blade servers. They had redundant power supplies, one on ups, the other on generator. Problem was, the new receptacles they installed were both on generator, not UPS and generator.

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
I’ve seen where two circuits are on a 3 or 4 gang with switches and they put the two circuits together. That’s what I was thinking all along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpenCircuit

1st thing I'd like to do would be smash "idiot pen"
This was resolved I see.
Just want to mention measuring can be useful.
The "idiot pen" picks up electric field, which is related to voltage. The difference in voltage between two points equals the electric field strength multiplied by the distance between them. So the fact the tester went off at different distances could be a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.