Gas station canopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
In gas station scenario with convenient store and has separate outside the store canopy with steel structure under which are gas station dispensers like any normal gas station.

Following questions:

1. If structure or building is allowed to have one feeder or branch circuit then would not the canopy be structure but it has more than one branch circuits or feeders to dispensers and speakers etc. I don’t see panelboard with main disco, GES or one branch circuit at the gas station canopy. Why would it not have to comply per NEC 2014 section 225.30? The gas station canopy is not a structure?

2. I have cell phone antennas on top of the gas station canopy and it has its own 200A utility fed from overhead on canopy. Here is the dilemma if the gas station canopy is considered structure then grounding electrodes do not have to be same or bond to building convenient store electrodes. However, if gas station canopy is Not consider structure then building convenient store grounding electrode should be used. Am I correct?

3. Question #2 regarding grounding electrodes your opinion how does it work typically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
In gas station scenario with convenient store and has separate outside the store canopy with steel structure under which are gas station dispensers like any normal gas station.

Following questions:

1. If structure or building is allowed to have one feeder or branch circuit then would not the canopy be structure but it has more than one branch circuits or feeders to power dispensers lights and speakers 120V, 208V power etc. I don’t see panelboard with main disco, GES or one branch circuit at the gas station canopy. Why would it not have to comply per NEC 2014 section 225.30? The gas station canopy is not a structure?

2. I have cell phone antennas on top of the gas station canopy and it has its own 200A utility fed from overhead on canopy. Here is the dilemma if the gas station canopy is considered structure then grounding electrodes do not have to be same or bond to building convenient store electrodes. However, if gas station canopy is Not consider structure then building convenient store grounding electrode should be used. Am I correct?

3. Question #2 regarding grounding electrodes your opinion how does it work typically?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
1. If structure or building is allowed to have one feeder or branch circuit then would not the canopy be structure but it has more than one branch circuits or feeders to dispensers and speakers etc. I don’t see panelboard with main disco, GES or one branch circuit at the gas station canopy. Why would it not have to comply per NEC 2014 section 225.30? The gas station canopy is not a structure?
We normally feed all the pumps from a panel inside. The entire gas station including the pumps is considered one structure.
A second service would need to meet art 230.2, I doubt this is a good idea.
I bet the cell equipment could be served just fine from existing service equip, check the art 220 load calc on the service.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
We normally feed all the pumps from a panel inside. The entire gas station including the pumps is considered one structure.

A second service would need to meet art 230.2, I doubt this is a good idea.
I bet the cell equipment could be served just fine from existing service equip, check the art 220 load calc on the service.

Ok but the second service is existing not new it’s already their. Scope of work is they are replacing antennas with new antennas and other equipment related to cell communication not new service.

The antennas are low voltage have DC coaxial cables going no EGC. So the antennas metallic, and antenna mount metal enclosures at top of gas station canopy have GEC going to ground rods NOT sure if this is lightning protection? Should the GEC going to ground rods instead go to store main service grounding electrodes or should ground rods be bonded to store main service grounding electrodes?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I don’t agree that the gas station canopy and the building are the same structure, unless they are physically connected, otherwise separate structure

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Ok but the second service is existing not new it’s already their. Scope of work is they are replacing antennas with new antennas and other equipment related to cell communication not new service.

The antennas are low voltage have DC coaxial cables going no EGC. So the antennas metallic, and antenna mount metal enclosures at top of gas station canopy have GEC going to ground rods NOT sure if this is lightning protection? Should the GEC going to ground rods instead go to store main service grounding electrodes or should ground rods be bonded to store main service grounding electrodes?

They can keep the supplemental ground rods, but it needs to be bonded to main service grounding electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.