Entrance Ell vs. rigid LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Normally I use an “entrance ell” I have also heard called service LB to make turn into building from meter pan on outside to service equipment on inside. ( In this case I cant poke straight through from meter box)

Due to current situation, one supplier is closed and 2 others are out of stock. Is there any reason I cant use a rigid LB, provided it is rated for the size and number of conductors, which is 3 3/0s ?

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
As long as the fill and bend radius conditions can be met with a standard LB conduit body, it should be fine.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Normally I use an “entrance ell” I have also heard called service LB to make turn into building from meter pan on outside to service equipment on inside. ( In this case I cant poke straight through from meter box)

Due to current situation, one supplier is closed and 2 others are out of stock. Is there any reason I cant use a rigid LB, provided it is rated for the size and number of conductors, which is 3 3/0s ?

Ignorant here. No suprises. Picture of each or what is the difference?

retirede

Isn’t the outlet on the long side of the service type positioned such that the pipe will be nearly flush with the surface without the need to bend an offset?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From an NEC perspective are an LB conduit body and a "service ell" the same thing?

LB conduit bodies are required to meet the 6X spacing rule used for pull boxes. So for a 2" raceway the LB would need to provide 12" of pulling space, there is an exception that allows the conductor number and size to be printed inside of the conduit body by the manufacturer that can be used if the 6X dimension is not met.

flashlight

Occupation
Yes, I’ll have to make a slightly larger hole.
I didn’t think code wise there would be a difference. Regarding radius, allowable conductors are printed on body. I suppose this means #4 ground wire can’t go in this way

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I didn’t think code wise there would be a difference. Regarding radius, allowable conductors are printed on body. I suppose this means #4 ground wire can’t go in this way
Does the LB state that it allows 3-#3/0 conductors? If so you cannot install a 4th. What do you mean by #4 ground wire, is that a GEC?

There is some ambiguity about those conductor size and quantities printed on LB's. There is letter floating around from some guy at carlon saying you can compute other conductor combinations if it is less than or equal to the volume of the printed combination. FWIW

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is some ambiguity about those conductor size and quantities printed on LB's. There is letter floating around from some guy at carlon saying you can compute other conductor combinations if it is less than or equal to the volume of the printed combination. FWIW
This was added to the 2017 NEC which allows smaller conductor combinations:

314.28(A)(3)For other conductor sizes and combinations, the total cross-sectional area of the fill shall not exceed the cross-sectional area of the conductors specified in the marking, based on the type of conductor identified as part of the product listing.

Informational Note: Unless otherwise specified, the applicable product standards evaluate the fill markings covered here based
on conductors with Type XHHW insulation.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC just calls them conduit bodies.

Manufacturers have different variations and possibly different names they give some of them.

If you have say 200 amp conductors you are typically going to need a longer body version, but if you are running 2 inch and pulling a lot of 14 AWG control conductors through it you wouldn't need the longer body type - though it still might make your pull easier if you have that large of raceway and are near fill capacity.

flashlight

Occupation
“Would it work to use a 2 1/2 LB with reducers”

That’s what I should have done! But I bought 2 in. parts because that’s what my mast is and the pipe lengths worked out.

Now I think I have to to bring the #4 ground conductor from the ground rod, into the meter box, hit the MIGB there, and I guess use a 1/2 in nipple to bring it into panel which is service equipment and hit MIGB in that panel, plus neutral and ground busses.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now I think I have to to bring the #4 ground conductor from the ground rod, into the meter box, hit the MIGB there, and I guess use a 1/2 in nipple to bring it into panel which is service equipment and hit MIGB in that panel, plus neutral and ground busses.
Nope. Just stop in the meter can and be grateful you're allowed to where you are.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
“Would it work to use a 2 1/2 LB with reducers”

That’s what I should have done! But I bought 2 in. parts because that’s what my mast is and the pipe lengths worked out.

I agree with Larry, if permitted just land the GEC in the meter and call it a day. :)

flashlight

Occupation
Hmm, that’s not how we usually do it
but I am used to NYC inspections and not this upstate jurisdiction. I like your solution, however. I will bond everything in the service cabinet also. This locality has a building inspector who I dealt with when I built barn. But they use outside inspector for electric. They gave me a list. Then POCO will have to inspect. So it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.