Refrigerator Outlet (yes, again..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I'm rethinking the way I typically wire a kitchen...
Typically I follow the code requirement of putting the refrigerator outlet on either (1) the 20A SABC or (2) a dedicated 15/20A circuit.

The dedicated circuit seems like overkill to me, but I have done it because I understand the argument of limiting the likelihood that said circuit will trip by putting it on it's own circuit and thus saving one from a potential food spoilage issue.

Given everything that gets plugged into the counter-tops these days, I try to limit what else goes on the SABC's because I've encountered coffee makers that pull upwards of 15A... but I have put the fridge on the SABC too due to limited circuit capacity.

What I'm thinking about doing is pulling a separate 15A circuit for kitchen lighting and general purpose receptacles and putting the fridge on that circuit. I have 3 general purpose receptacles on wall spaces in the kitchen and follow the commercial rule of 180VA per yoke strap (4.5A) plus a few amps in lighting (kitchen lights, pantry light, etc.).

It seems to me that putting the fridge on this circuit would work best because (1) I keep the SABC's open for all those fancy toasters and espresso machines, (2) the circuit is fairly under loaded with just a few general purpose receptacles and a few lights, and (3) you would be most likely to notice the fridge is out if the lights are out in the kitchen too.

My question is... is this technically a code violation? I feel like it is, but I guess I'm avoiding coming to terms with that in writing this post. Honestly.. eating up 5A from the SABC seems wasteful (I'm trying to save as much of that circuit capacity as possible) and the dedicated seems like overkill.

Thoughts?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
How about a semi-dedicated refrigerator circuit with a few other predictable loads? Good utilization of the available power, but no opportunity to plug in an excessive load and trip the breaker.
For example, fridge, sump pump, kitchen lights and smoke alarms. (I added lights to make it more obvious if it trips ... especially useful if the kitchen is also the entry)

Jerramundi

Occupation
How about a semi-dedicated refrigerator circuit with a few other predictable loads? Good utilization of the available power, but no opportunity to plug in an excessive load and trip the breaker.
For example, fridge, sump pump, kitchen lights and smoke alarms. (I added lights to make it more obvious if it trips ... especially useful if the kitchen is also the entry)

Well I would never put it on with the pump or smoke alarms. Those are two things that I agree should be dedicated.

But lighting.. That's the current debate I'm having. As far as I can tell, the only permissible options per code are to either put the fridge on with the 20A SABC or a dedicated line. I think putting it on an under loaded circuit that also serves kitchen general purpose receptacles and lighting would be best, but code is code.

I don't like the SABC option because as I said in the OP, I've encountered coffee makers that pull upwards of 15A and I'm trying to conserve as much of that circuit capacity as possible... and the dedicated line seems like overkill.

Jerramundi

Occupation
The refrigerator is on the small appliance branch circuit but there is an exception that allows the refrigerator to be on a 15 amp circuit if the circuit is dedicated to the refrigerator. You cannot install the lights on that circuit

So I definitively cannot put the fridge on a general purpose lighting/receptacle circuit? Bah humbug. I really don't like the idea of eating up 5A of the SABC and dedicated just seems like overkill. Thought maybe I was onto something. Appreciate the clarification.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Also 180va per receptacle does not apply to dwelling units

I'm aware the 180VA is a commercial requirement, but it's one I've adopted anyway. 3VA per square foot doesn't sit well with me because then we're talking about 600 square feet of general purpose receptacles and lighting on one 15A circuit. I always strive to keep in mind that the code is a requirement minimum, not a maximum and 1.5A seems like a good number to me per receptacle.

sw_ross

My state (North Dakota) requires 3 SABC's, 2 of which are for countertops The other one can serve dining, pantries, etc It is common to put the fridge on with the dining area 20 amp circuit since it's a required circuit

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There is no general purpose receptacles in the kitchen. Two choices for fridge... 1) On with SABC or 2) individual 15 or 20A circuit. Other than the fridge and lighting, no other 15A receptacles are allowed unless for disposal or DW.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Just how much more would it cost to run dedicated refrigerator circuit?
Once I explain what’s going on with the HO’s, I have never had one say “no, put it on a gfci circuit”

Jerramundi

Occupation
There is no general purpose receptacles in the kitchen....

I disagree. The kitchen still qualifies as a living space and any wall space greater than 2' still requires a receptacle.

What would you call these receptacles? Small appliance branch circuit receptacles? Do you refer to the outlets in the dining room fed by the SBAC as SBAC receptacles? I don't. I call them general purpose receptacles even if they are fed by the SBAC.

We're getting into semantics and digressing from the main point of the OP, but I would argue those receptacles required to go on wall spaces greater than 2' that are not taken up by counter tops in the Kitchen ARE general purpose receptacles... albeit general purpose receptacles potentially fed by the SBAC, but general purpose receptacles nonetheless.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
If it's a new installation, just make sure you install a panel with enough positions, and give the 'fridge its own circuit.
It's a major appliance, it was standard practice for us to do that and no one considered it "wasteful."
Definitely didn't want it on SABCs even if allowed.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Two choices for fridge... 1) On with SABC or 2) individual 15 or 20A circuit. Other than the fridge and lighting, no other 15A receptacles are allowed unless for disposal or DW.

In regards to fridge, I understand these two options are code approved options. I was just checking to make sure I hadn't missed something that would allow the fridge to go on some other circuit, like the lighting circuit, because I really hate the idea of eating up 5A of the SBAC and the dedicated circuit seems like overkill.

Jerramundi

Occupation
If it's a new installation, just make sure you install a panel with enough positions, and give the 'fridge its own circuit.
It's a major appliance, it was standard practice for us to do that and no one considered it "wasteful."
Definitely didn't want it on SABCs even if allowed.

I don't want it on the SBAC either. Given everything that gets plugged into the counter tops these days I'm trying to conserve as much of that circuit capacity as possible. I'm also working with an existing 12 position panel, which limits my capacity for dedicated circuits greatly.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I disagree. The kitchen still qualifies as a living space and any wall space greater than 2' still requires a receptacle.

What would you call these receptacles? Small appliance branch circuit receptacles? Do you refer to the outlets in the dining room fed by the SBAC as SBAC receptacles? I don't. I call them general purpose receptacles even if they are fed by the SBAC.

We're getting into semantics and digressing from the main point of the OP, but I would argue those receptacles required to go on wall spaces greater than 2' that are not taken up by counter tops in the Kitchen ARE general purpose receptacles... albeit general purpose receptacles potentially fed by the SBAC, but general purpose receptacles nonetheless.
You have to use the appropiate wall space rules depending on whether they are on the counter or wall but they are not classified as general purpose if they are in one of the areas served by SABC. The kitchen is one of those areas.
As far as getting off the OP subject, we are exactly on it. You wanted to put the fridge on a "general purpose" outlet and I/we pointed out that it couldn't be. I went on to point out there are no general purpose receptacles in the kitchen, only SABC receptacles.

Jerramundi

Occupation
You have to use the appropiate wall space rules depending on whether they are on the counter or wall but they are not classified as general purpose if they are in one of the areas served by SABC. The kitchen is one of those areas.
As far as getting off the OP subject, we are exactly on it. You wanted to put the fridge on a "general purpose" outlet and I/we pointed out that it couldn't be. I went on to point out there are no general purpose receptacles in the kitchen, only SABC receptacles.

Technically, you are correct. 210.52(B)(1) states that the non-counter top wall and floor receptacles in the kitchen, dining room, pantry, breakfast area etc. have to be served by a 20A SABC and a SABC has different requirements than a general purpose branch circuit.

Given that the purpose of an SABC is to keep the load to a minimum so that the majority of the circuit capacity is available for chord and plug appliances, this still seems nonsensical to me. I would never plug my blender into a wall receptacle that is not on the counter top nor would I ever walk into a dining room, point to the wall receptacles, and call them SABC receptacles. When I hear SABC, I think counter tops, but yes, technically you are correct.

Jerramundi

Occupation

Interesting subsequent question... given that SABC can't have lighting on them, does this mean that a dining room light fixture can NEVER be fed off one of the local receptacle outlets in the room? That seems crazy to me. I've been on plenty of jobs with other electricians where they've fed a dining room light off the dining room receptacles, but it wouldn't shock me if they were wrong about something in the code.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
..nor would I ever walk into a dining room, point to the wall receptacles, and call them SABC receptacles. When I hear SABC, I think counter tops, but yes, technically you are correct.
But around The Holidays, you push the table up to the wall, plug in assorted warming trays, chafing dishes, and crock pots for the party. That's why the dining room needs some extra 'oomph' in the outlets.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would never plug my blender into a wall receptacle that is not on the counter top nor would I ever walk into a dining room, point to the wall receptacles, and call them SABC receptacles.
One could also put the fridge on an SABC that supplies only non-counter kitchen receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.