Residential dock question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTideSEC

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On a residential dock a person should bond any metal object that may touch the water or become electrically energized or what I’ve read,
  • All non-current carrying metal parts of docking facility such as metal piping, metal equipment enclosures, metal frames of the structure and ramps, ,metal swim ladders and other metals in contact with the water or may become electrically energized shall be electrically bonded to the equipment grounding system
So does that mean the boat cleats need to be bonded also? And there are ‘roll-up’ style small garage doors with metal frames on a lot of the docks I’m seeing, and none have been bonded. These are all fixed docks and the water has gotten over the deck recently. Is there something I’m missing? Or do you just not include the cleats and doors? The inspector said only the boat lifts and swim ladder really need to be bonded but I’m just curious. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I would say the cleat(s) do not as they are an isolated piece of equipment that is neither in contact with water or is it likely to become energized as is is typically only screwed into the hull of a boat.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
>amateur's opinion< If the cleats are on the dock, and totally isolated, I would say the cleats do not need to be bonded. Unless the roll-up doors have electric openers, not required either.

Are there electric lights inside the boathouses? Bond everything metal!

Everything needs to be bonded if the planks on the dock are aluminum.

Code or not, it wouldn't hurt to bond the cleats and the door. Belt and suspenders!

RollTideSEC

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes the cleats are on the dock and there are lights and plugs. The dock itself is wooden with a metal roof. Its not much more work because the wire has to pass the cleats in order to reach the swim ladder.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Mike Holt in a recent video recommended no electricity on docks. If you do have electricity there is a warning sign you will need to post see Section 555.10 Signage WARNING- POTENTIAL SHOCK HAZARD - ELECTRICAL CURRENTS MAY BE PRESENT IN THE WATER.
Go here for more information

RollTideSEC

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mike Holt in a recent video recommended no electricity on docks. If you do have electricity there is a warning sign you will need to post see Section 555.10 Signage WARNING- POTENTIAL SHOCK HAZARD - ELECTRICAL CURRENTS MAY BE PRESENT IN THE WATER.
Go here for more information
Yes sir, around here the Lakes Division inspection department provides and installs that sign after the inspection has passed, that way they can see what they’ve inspected or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.