Conduit/THWN wires cut underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I know might be tough to explain in a forum but just curious before having an experienced guy help me... Landacapers cut a conduit and some then wires while digging out a tree to move.

Long story short, what is the best way to resplice these now? How do I trace out and make sure the Brown, blue and whites match up to the other side??

2 Brown
2 Blue
2 White
1 Red
1 Green

Nobody knew what it does. Assuming pool stuff. None were live when I got there.

Thanks Guys
What doesn't work that should? Any breakers tripped?

Maybe it is something that has been abandoned and doesn't even need repaired?

I'd be figuring out what it is and whether there was damage at either end had the conductors been pulled on when this happened.

Would also at very least want to make sure effected items were working again after making any repairs

So regardless I would be finding out what it does and not just splicing wires and then walking away.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with post #22 (kwired) but might add, IF a pool is involved, certain pool circuits are not allowed to be spliced (wet niche lighting) so I definitely would find out where they went originally.

PhenixFord

Occupation
Industrial Systems and Controls
I've done a lot of landscape lighting and pool installation.

The system "as presented" is in conduit with individual strands of wire. So there is no approved method for splicing these conductors underground (direct burial). This service tec is going to need 2 ground boxes to make this repair. Something similar to this. \/ \/ \/

The boxes will need to be set so that the covers are at "surface" level and can be readily accessible.

Relocating the entire system to a new location would not be cost effective. Even if you did, you run the risk of damaging other electrical or irrigation systems. Just my $0.02

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So we don't even know if the wires are relevant to anything. They maybe a defunct circuit.
IMO Repair conduit and replace is most ideal way to go. Or two hand holes and a new conduit between the two with proper drainage and direct burial wire nuts of your choosing or making

kwired

Electron manager
I've done a lot of landscape lighting and pool installation.

The system "as presented" is in conduit with individual strands of wire. So there is no approved method for splicing these conductors underground (direct burial). This service tec is going to need 2 ground boxes to make this repair. Something similar to this. \/ \/ \/

The boxes will need to be set so that the covers are at "surface" level and can be readily accessible.

Relocating the entire system to a new location would not be cost effective. Even if you did, you run the risk of damaging other electrical or irrigation systems. Just my $0.02
Or repair the conduit and pull new conductors.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Doesn't the code require splices to be in a box and readily accessible?
“Landscaper cut a conduit”.
I went back and caught that part...
wires listed for direct burial can be spliced as long as the splices are also listed for direct burial.

if the wire is rated for wet locations only such as THWN but not direct burial, then post #15 is applicable.

looking at the wires it looks like control wiring anyway, maybe an 18awg?

kwired

Electron manager
Why take my post out of context? Goggle underground splice kits. They are rated for direct burial.
He didn't. Utililties seldom would have what OP has, small raceway/small conductors and relatively short length, and if they did would likely repair the conduit and pull new conductors.

Around here anyway, if this had been a service lateral that POCO maintains, they would splice it if it is direct buried, but would repair conduit and pull new conductor if it were in conduit. On top of that if it were a utility controlled service lateral you likely have better chance of the landscaper being reported for not calling the one call underground locating service that is required. The line in this case probably not a utility owned line and wouldn't be located by utilities via the one call system so kind of irrelevant even if they called in this case.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Why take my post out of context? Goggle underground splice kits. They are rated for direct burial.
Sorry, didn’t think it would be taken like that...
the nuances in the spoken word is lost in text only...

the comment was more toward “play by their own rules”
Utilities have rules to follow also that are theirs(NESC), but they are bound by the NEC also in many instances..

for instance, a utility would not be able to splice those wires and direct bury them if they weren’t properly listed no more than any EC.

kwired

Electron manager

Utilities have rules to follow also that are theirs(NESC), but they are bound by the NEC also in many instances..

for instance, a utility would not be able to splice those wires and direct bury them if they weren’t properly listed no more than any EC.
They don't get inspected like most NEC users do. Most seem to be pretty good about following NESC anymore, and for the most part the linemen that are out in the field don't know much at all when it comes to NEC, but most the time they don't need to make NEC based decisions, SOP's already cover most of what would be NEC based decisions.

GerryB

That's ok, I apologize also. A little bit touchy looking at headlines this morning.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020

Off topic sort of, I've shown this image before, Edison certainly has their own rules at times for some underground service supply techniques.

20151104_104645.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.