Heat trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have heat trace branch circuit 277V single phase. Breaker should be single pole off of three phase 480/277V panelboard. However plan designer says their is no manufacturer that provides single pole GFPE breaker 277V. So he decided to use two poles breaker that comes GFPE and going to use one pole for circuit of heat trace leaving the other pole no circuit.

Questions:

1. Can you use only one pole of breaker that has two poles has GFPE? Code allow?

2. Is their really no GFPE 277V, single pole breaker out their?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have heat trace branch circuit 277V single phase. Breaker should be single pole off of three phase 480/277V panelboard. However plan designer says their is no manufacturer that provides single pole GFPE breaker 277V. So he decided to use two poles breaker that comes GFPE and going to use one pole for circuit of heat trace leaving the other pole no circuit.

Questions:

1. Can you use only one pole of breaker that has two poles has GFPE? Code allow?

2. Is their really no GFPE 277V, single pole breaker out their?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Square D makes a 277V, 30ma circuit breaker. I'm not sure they have a 480V-2P, 30ma circuit breaker, or at least I'm not noticing it in the catalog.

For instance: Square D #EDB14030EPD, E-Frame Brkr 30A, 1P, 277V, 30mA.

synchro

Occupation
EE
... plan designer says their is no manufacturer that provides single pole GFPE breaker 277V. So he decided to use two poles breaker that comes GFPE and going to use one pole for circuit of heat trace leaving the other pole no circuit.
The single pole breaker that David mentioned occupies two pole spaces, so perhaps that made the designer think they are 2-pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.