Is this a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

So today I was looking at a new install

2 family residential home

On the outside of the building was one 200 disconnect and one 60 amp disconnect right off the meter base
#4 cu from the bonded neutral bar on the 200a disconnect to water main

Then they used a #6cu jumper from the neutral bar on the smaller disconnect to the neutral bar on the larger 200a disconnect to bond the second switch. Instead of running another individual gec to the water main. I couldn't find anything wrong with it?;

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not sure about the bonding jumper but I wonder about 260 max amps worth of panel connected to what I assume is a 200 amp meter can. Is the size of the meter can based on load calculation or the amount of panel connected to it? If the latter, you got a problem. Also, does the meter can have a lug for each cable or are two cables under each lug? (Which would be a violation I believe.)

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I couldn't find anything wrong with it?
It sounds to me like ( and I'll presume ) the 60 A disconnect was for a large branch circuit maybe an AC or something, The Main as you know is the only place were the neutral and ground are allowed to share the 1 return buss, bar which is not isolated in anyway from the metal enclosure..

You mentioned the 60 Amp Disconnect landed a # 6 ground on an neutral bar which typically is isolated, which is wrong. They should of landed the #6 grounded to a lug or ground bar with no isolation boots ( black plastic insulators ). Although maybe the 60 Amp disconnect needs a neutral ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On the outside of the building was one 200 disconnect and one 60 amp disconnect right off the meter base
#4 cu from the bonded neutral bar on the 200a disconnect to water main

Then they used a #6cu jumper from the neutral bar on the smaller disconnect to the neutral bar on the larger 200a disconnect to bond the second switch. Instead of running another individual gec to the water main. I couldn't find anything wrong with it?;
Since you have two service disconnects you can run the GEC to the larger one and tap the GEC with a bonding jumper to the smaller one. Electrically that is what you have, personally I would have use a split bolt to connect the #6 to the #4 GEC.

Since you have two service disconnects you can run the GEC to the larger one and tap the GEC with a bonding jumper to the smaller one. Electrically that is what you have, personally I would have use a split bolt to connect the #6 to the #4 GEC.

I have seen what the OP describes quite frequently, that is the installer looping jumpers between multiple service disconnects. I get the impression they were not quite sure what to do. I never quite understood why so many people have such trouble with landing the GEC in services with multiple service disconnect enclosures, as it is laid out very clearly in the code how to handle this, 250.64(D). I do find what the OP has to not really be strictly in compliance with what 250.64(D)(1) describes, but of course it is electrically the same and practically totally fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I do find what the OP has to not really be strictly in compliance with what 250.64(D)(1) describes, but of course it is electrically the same and practically totally fine.
Yes, I don't see connecting the bonding jumper to the neutral bar in the other enclosure as an option in that section.

nickelec

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify in talking about two separate service switches the 60amp is for a smaller apartment.

Usually what we would do is mount a copper bus somewhere next to the service and land all GECs and bonding Jumpers to it.

. like others said they way I explained it being done here is electrically the same.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.