Dorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have drinking water fountain receptacle in corridor of dorm 120V 20amps single phase. I read that hallways of dorm require AFCI however would about corridor NEC 2014 version?

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
I have drinking water fountain receptacle in corridor of dorm 120V 20amps single phase. I read that hallways of dorm require AFCI however would about corridor NEC 2014 version?

No, only inside rooms but you do need a gfci ready accesible outlet or a gfci breaker. 422.5 (A)(2)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
No, only inside rooms but you do need a gfci ready accesible outlet or a gfci breaker. 422.5 (A)(2)

NEC 2014 section 210.12(C) Dormitory Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dormitory unit bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, closets, and similar rooms shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter meeting the requirements of 210.12(A)(1) through (6) as appropriate.

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
NEC 2014 section 210.12(C) Dormitory Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dormitory unit bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, closets, and similar rooms shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter meeting the requirements of 210.12(A)(1) through (6) as appropriate.

You got your own answer then, it is required then

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You got your own answer then, it is required then

So if corridor connects different dorm units and it’s outside dorm units has 120V 20A receptacle it’s confusing if it’s require AFCI

We’ll post #3 says IN dormitory unit hallway. It’s confusing inside the dorm unit where does one see hallway? Hallways are outside the unit no?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . post #3 says IN dormitory unit hallway. It’s confusing inside the dorm unit where does one see hallway? Hallways are outside the unit no?
No. When a hallway is IN a dormitory unit, it is not OUTSIDE a dormitory unit.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Should be required in both areas of dorm, how can you justify it in one area, and not in an area on the other side of a dorm unit door (common area).

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Should be required in both areas of dorm, how can you justify it in one area, and not in an area on the other side of a dorm unit door (common area).
The words of the Holy Writ are beyond justification. . . they simply say what they say.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
My post is referring to hallway that is common area not in dorm unit itself. Was wondering if AFCI is required or not in that common area corridor?
Yes. I understood what you wrote to mean that.

Look, since the NEC does not have a Definition of Dormitory Unit, you can claim that the parking garage is included by virtue of the hallway that connects the elevator lobby to the parking ramp.

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
On another note I have never seen hallway inside dorm unit. Has anyone have graphic or picture?

I have a building that used to be a motel years ago, the university bought it and turned it into a freshman dorm. They are 3 bedroom apartments, everything on that apartment in a 20 amp breaker is AFCI protected ( it was just renovated). On the other hand I have buildings that have dorm rooms with AFCI protection and common areas outside the sleeping areas that are not AFCI protected. ( they have not been renovated and the newer ones were build under NEC 2011). It is true dorm is not defined under the NEC and with the new 2020 changes that almost everything inside a home needs to be AFCI protected is hard to know where we are going with this.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch is what I have. It’s on second floor, shows dorm units and corridor has 120V single phase 20A duplex receptacle. From what I am understanding the receptacle would not require AFCI? Correct or incorrect?

Attachments

• 2B1907B0-253C-4109-A3B3-B70083851735.jpeg
    2B1907B0-253C-4109-A3B3-B70083851735.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.