Spring Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
You mentioned block wall, make sure to drill into the brace section of the block, or if you had to hit the hollow spot, then we used the hollow wall anchors. I have seen toggle bolts used, but would not recommend 1/4 in. The toggle wings are not very strong and you would have to upsize.
Here’s an example of hollow wall anchors we used often, with an anchor setting tool.

933EB27C-3D08-4444-83FC-B1A57911FDBB.jpeg 13611A42-69AB-45D6-B2C5-821300BBFEA7.jpeg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the strut is sitting on the floor then 4 or 5-1/4" toggle bolts are fine if you hit the hollow portion of the block. The strut will only be holding the "tip" weight with most of the weight sitting on the floor. No different than using strut to mount a panel to drywall.

Todd0x1

James L

Occupation
Electrician
For sure, the nylon nuts stay in place a whole lot better. And they don't push away from you as you're trying to get your boat started.

And if you need to slide them some to get you're not lined up with your whole better, they don't tip over and pop out.

I never use spring nuts if I can help it

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
SSDriver pro-tip of the day.

For mounting heavy drives or panels with external holes I will use a 2" bolt threaded through the spring nut backwards to create a stud. I then un-thread the bolt until the head touches the back of the strut. You now have a stud that can't be pushed back and will not move when setting a heavy panel. They sell stud springs nuts, but they still move, this does not. Also no need to hold the back of the bolt as it is unthreaded and touching the back of the strut and is now wedged between the strut and the spring nut (it will not spin when you thread on a standard nut).

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
SSDriver pro-tip of the day.

For mounting heavy drives or panels with external holes I will use a 2" bolt threaded through the spring nut backwards to create a stud. I then un-thread the bolt until the head touches the back of the strut. You now have a stud that can't be pushed back and will not move when setting a heavy panel. They sell stud springs nuts, but they still move, this does not. Also no need to hold the back of the bolt as it is unthreaded and touching the back of the strut and is now wedged between the strut and the spring nut (it will not spin when you thread on a standard nut).

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Staying on topic....how do you guy support panel recessed in drywall with metal stud. Say a 225A 42ckt size panel.

Ahhhh just saw infinitys post about toggle bolts for drywall. Wouldn't they rip through?

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Staying on topic....how do you guy support panel recessed in drywall with metal stud. Say a 225A 42ckt size panel.

Ahhhh just saw infinitys post about toggle bolts for drywall. Wouldn't they rip through?
If it's recessed we just screw it to the studs either with self-drilling screws or 1/4" nuts and bolts. You missed the part about mounting strut to the drywall where the strut sits on the floor.

Todd0x1

How do spring nuts work??

there is a thread just shut down 45 minutes ago regarding inspectors, surface mounted boxes and clamps
what’s the difference?

Shut down thread was a guy who was not an EC and was working on his own house. This thread's OP is an EC who is active here and was checking how to do something for a job.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Shut down thread was a guy who was not an EC and was working on his own house. This thread's OP is an EC who is active here and was checking how to do something for a job.
The guy was listed as an Engineer in NC,
asking how to do a job....

Status
Not open for further replies.