NFPA for fuel dispensing stations ( typical gas pump station)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
As Electrician. Are there any NFPA besides nfpa70e for electrical that people working on gas dispensing systems need to be aware of for safety? or any other related safety material/

kwired

Electron manager
Knowing other NFPA codes can be useful, particularly at refinery or other industrial type processing/handling applications.

At consumer dispensing stations and even the next level up bulk plants what is covered in NEC is mostly all a typical electrician "has to know".

Unless you also install fuel/gas piping and components, you don't need to know much of anything about fuel/gas codes, other than don't mess with those things if you don't know those codes.

oldsparky52

I agree with kwired's post. I want to add that if you want to work on them, the technical training is prohibitive for a small operation. Getting technical support from the manufacturer does not happen unless you are a certified tech and you don't get that unless you pay the thousands of dollars to get their training. No training, no talky.

I was in the installation department as an electrician so I learned a lot about installations, but never had the opportunity to be a "tech". I've seen a lot of guys struggle with being a one-man show gas dispenser tech, and most of them hated it.

I've also seen techs that thought they knew enough to do electrical work and ... they didn't know as much as they thought they did.

oldsparky52

Take a look into NFPA 30 or 30A
If he's going to get into installations he will need more than those (although one should be familiar with them). In 2007 NC implemented new UST (underground storage tank) regulations that cover permitting, installations, testing, certification requirements, and more. I called NC California East (California has some pretty stringent regulations).

You need to know the regulations of the state you want to work in.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with kwired's post. I want to add that if you want to work on them, the technical training is prohibitive for a small operation. Getting technical support from the manufacturer does not happen unless you are a certified tech and you don't get that unless you pay the thousands of dollars to get their training. No training, no talky.

I was in the installation department as an electrician so I learned a lot about installations, but never had the opportunity to be a "tech". I've seen a lot of guys struggle with being a one-man show gas dispenser tech, and most of them hated it.

I've also seen techs that thought they knew enough to do electrical work and ... they didn't know as much as they thought they did.
The fuel equipment company that is most popular to serve places in this area has like one guy that is their expert on the electrical part of the dispensers. I can say that he either don't know or don't care about electrical codes, but he does know what needs to connect where pretty well and how to troubleshoot problems.

oldsparky52

The fuel equipment company that is most popular to serve places in this area has like one guy that is their expert on the electrical part of the dispensers. I can say that he either don't know or don't care about electrical codes, but he does know what needs to connect where pretty well and how to troubleshoot problems.
My guess would be he doesn't know. He may also think, hey it works! :)

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I havent replied to comments its been really busy. I guess I should have elaborated a little further. I understand there is a difference between the fuel dispensor installation and service and the actual installation of wiring and conduit to the dispenser. Article 514 does give requirements for the installation on the roough in side and i am ok with NEC portion. Serviciing gas pumps after its been in service for a while is my question. I would like to hear from anyone who has actual experience trouble shooting circuits from store front to gas pumps or gas pump dispensers not the actual gas pumps. ANY procedures for trouble shooting, running new circuits. and LOTO. I would like to hear from people who have electrical service experience with gas pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.