Turning a single lug into a double

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Any creative ways to turn one lug into a double?

I have a 200 amp disconnect that I want to feed two sets of wires out out the load side. It is too tight for any sort of "tap" style lug. Wondering if there are kits for this sort of thing.

Thanks

JoeNorm

The PB2-300 is the right profile for the space I have. I am wondering if it would be permitted to strip out enough insulation on the first feeder to slide it though the first lug and have it continue and land on the factory lug in the disco, then connect send wire in the second lug.

I would cut off the mounting hole part. Would that be legal?

kwired

Electron manager
The PB2-300 is the right profile for the space I have. I am wondering if it would be permitted to strip out enough insulation on the first feeder to slide it though the first lug and have it continue and land on the factory lug in the disco, then connect send wire in the second lug.

Would work, picky inspectors might cry listing issues.

If so GTA-250-250 should work.

1613694421734.png Also has an optional insulating cover that can go with it.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks, I have used these but I don't know if I have the room side to side
You might need to position them 90 degrees from what you are thinking of, don't know if you have room to connect in this lug then land in your disconnect's lug or not

JoeNorm

You might need to position them 90 degrees from what you are thinking of, don't know if you have room to connect in this lug then land in your disconnect's lug or not
Might work that way, i'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am wondering if it would be permitted to strip out enough insulation on the first feeder to slide it though the first lug and have it continue and land on the factory lug in the disco, then connect send wire in the second lug.
Don't forget to respect the ampacity of that short length of the single conductor.

JoeNorm

Could just use a split bolt if space is tight. Joe, why not just remove the factory lug and use the one kwired posted?
That would be the best option, I just wasn't sure I was able/allowed to remove the factory lug without voiding terms of use with disconnect manufacture(SQD)

paulengr

Most disconnects have lug kits available or you can buy your own. Some have odd bolt patterns but most are pretty standard.

You can also buy stacking lugs with either doubles or an elongated lug that goes under another. Expect long lead times though. What I normally do is put one on top of the other back to back so you can fit two. Then you can stack two more on the back of the bus bar for a total of four. Sometimes you can only get two depending on if the bottom lug lays flat or up to 6 if you can organize them 90 degrees off front and back. Sometimes in large motors as an example we’ve had to cut busbars and make extensions. Often the number of leads is not the same and the shear number makes bus almost a requirement.

Worse come to worse, you can buy a power distribution block. These are available in all kinds of sizes and hole combinations and are very inexpensive for what they are.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Some inspectors will cite that as "modifying listed equipment" and may cite something in 110.3. Personally I am fine swapping out listed lugs, but what I think doesnt matter.
If you can buy the switch without lugs and it still be listed, I don't see why you could not add listed lugs to a switch that has no lugs.

I would see if I could get a couple of crimp on lugs to fit back to back. They even make stackable crimpon lugs.

1613768392891.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you can buy the switch without lugs and it still be listed, I don't see why you could not add listed lugs to a switch that has no lugs.
"If you can buy the switch without lugs and it still be listed," you'd obviously have to be able to add them, so buy one and use the lugs you like best.

oldsparky52

I can't envision that it would be easier to cut that double lug tap off and do what you asked than it would be to swap lugs.

"If you can buy the switch without lugs and it still be listed," you'd obviously have to be able to add them, so buy one and use the lugs you like best.
The counter argument to that is the manufacturer likely has a list of "approved" lugs. They probably don't say, "use any lug you want.". I don't have a problem with it, and do it all the time I'm just saying what some of these inspectors say.

Status
Not open for further replies.