Yellow, Red, and Brown Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
‘what did you do to yourself?’. Normally I wouldn’t remember.
Yep, I appreciate gloves like mechanix wear more now. Hated gloves in the past, now sometimes I feel like I need to take them off so my hands don't get soft.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yep, I appreciate gloves like mechanix wear more now. Hated gloves in the past, now sometimes I feel like I need to take them off so my hands don't get soft.

I’ve been wearing thin”bolt up” gloves most the winter and have gotten pretty use to them.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Normally good for the cuts, but got a bad pinch once even though the glove. Almost threw the linesman that day.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
His thumb does look like someone was not paying attention during that safety class.
If his fingerprints weren't on file before, they sure are now.

Can't people make mistakes in this world? Me, personally, I like to live without all the bubble wrap. ;)

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The copper in the hot and neutral look the same color to me. The yellow EGC is a new one on me. I have never seen that before. I have seen the outside of copper change color over time as it slowly oxidizes.
Copper oxidation makes it dark not bright.
Could they be using copper clad aluminum for the ground conductor? If so is that even allowed in the same cable?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Just checked Southwire's website and their SimPull NM-B specs. All conductors are copper. You say that this isn't a new occurrence, you noticed it in the past. I would think that if that were the case there would be something from Southwire about it.

Makes me wonder if you got some counterfeit stuff. Where did you purchase it?

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have seen that before; only in 14-2 if I'm remembering correctly. It does look like an alloy.

Send the pic to the manufacturer and ask about it. Tell them hundreds of us want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.