Large heated tile floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
And the branch breakers would have to provide the ground fault protection?
The ones I've installed have gfci protection in the relay. It looks exactly like the thermostat without the digital display

Attachments

• suntouch-floor-warming-thermostats-controls-500850-sc-64_1000.jpg
    suntouch-floor-warming-thermostats-controls-500850-sc-64_1000.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 31hcJn90kPL._AC_.jpg
    31hcJn90kPL._AC_.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 8

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
wow, its changing daily now for me. Since I told the customer they wouldnt be able to re arrange the furniture in this master bedroom, they decided to not heat this 20 x20 room. But thanks for your advice, I may need to install one of these power module type systems in the future.

kwired

Electron manager
wow, its changing daily now for me. Since I told the customer they wouldnt be able to re arrange the furniture in this master bedroom, they decided to not heat this 20 x20 room. But thanks for your advice, I may need to install one of these power module type systems in the future.
So that means it must not been primary heat and there is other heat for the room. I still would think you could have lower watt density and therefore still be able to have some warmth in the floor regardless of furniture placement. Even a warm room temperature from forced air systems leaves colder temp on stone/tile floors and a little in floor heat may be desirable just so the floor isn't cold.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know why they wouldn't be able to rearrange furniture. Are you thinking the floor would get too hot and damage their furniture? Or are you just thinking about wasted heat underneath a bed, dresser, etc.

Floor heat isn't supposed to get blistering hot. You should be able to walk on it with bare feet. If you're thinking about wasted heat under a furniture piece, that's only taken into consideration with fixed objects

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know why they wouldn't be able to rearrange furniture. Are you thinking the floor would get too hot and damage their furniture? Or are you just thinking about wasted heat underneath a bed, dresser, etc.

Floor heat isn't supposed to get blistering hot. You should be able to walk on it with bare feet. If you're thinking about wasted heat under a furniture piece, that's only taken into consideration with fixed objects
I was thinking some of the same. If anything you just heat those objects more and they in turn give up heat to the room. Same thing happens if you have hydronic in floor heating.

But like I said in my last post, if this is supplemental heat watt density in the floor doesn't need to be very high to begin with, all you are likely after is not having a cold floor when you walk on it with no shoes on.

retirede

I was thinking some of the same. If anything you just heat those objects more and they in turn give up heat to the room. Same thing happens if you have hydronic in floor heating.

But like I said in my last post, if this is supplemental heat watt density in the floor doesn't need to be very high to begin with, all you are likely after is not having a cold floor when you walk on it with no shoes on.

That’s what my Suntouch is for - keeping the tile warm for my bare feet, not to heat the room. As far as I know, there are no restrictions on placing things on top of the tile.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The spacing of floor tile heating conductors typically needs to be uniform, even if the heat is for supplemental use. When the recommemded spacing is exceeded there will be cold spots on the floor which will be very noticeable in bare or stocking feet.

kwired

Electron manager
The spacing of floor tile heating conductors typically needs to be uniform, even if the heat is for supplemental use. When the recommemded spacing is exceeded there will be cold spots on the floor which will be very noticeable in bare or stocking feet.
True, but you still can go with lower watts per linear foot of heating cable and have an acceptable range for spacing. With mat type units you are stuck with whatever density they manufacture and may have limited choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.