NM Cable prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulengr

Generally speaking, supply and demand.

The current spike in pretty much all metal prices is that Covid had caused some production problems as well as softened demand. So now demand is back but there is a delay as things ramp back up, causing a huge gap and spiking prices.

Plastics are tied to oil which is getting hit with freaking out over Texas, plus a ban on new drilling contracts, plus cancelling pipeline construction.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here in NJ at Lowe's (250' rolls before tax) :
14/2 - $ 57.53
14/3 - $ 89.10
12/2 - $ 88.55
10/2 - $ 180.42
10/3 - $ 263.10

Now, every business is entitled to make a profit and it's understood that you should never buy something for $1.00 and sell it for $1.00 (unless you're feeling charitable). That said, Lowe's and HD will probably always beat your local SH because they buy wire in bulk by the 100's of pallets and re-stock their stores from a central distribution point. Lowe's as well as HD seem to be using the LIFO method of valuing their inventory (Last in - First out). So, irrespective of how much they bought X amount of copper wire for on January 1, 2021, if their wire purchase price on February 1, 2021 goes up by 10% they re-value their ENTIRE stock at the new price regardless of how much existing inventory they have. By the same token, they can also de-value their stock but that usually takes place when their inventory diminishes to almost bare shelves.

They're making $$$ guys, no matter how high the prices go.

Here in NJ at Lowe's (250' rolls before tax) :
14/2 - $ 57.53
14/3 - $ 89.10
12/2 - $ 88.55
10/2 - $ 180.42
10/3 - $ 263.10

Now, every business is entitled to make a profit and it's understood that you should never buy something for $1.00 and sell it for $1.00 (unless you're feeling charitable). That said, Lowe's and HD will probably always beat your local SH because they buy wire in bulk by the 100's of pallets and re-stock their stores from a central distribution point. Lowe's as well as HD seem to be using the LIFO method of valuing their inventory (Last in - First out). So, irrespective of how much they bought X amount of copper wire for on January 1, 2021, if their wire purchase price on February 1, 2021 goes up by 10% they re-value their ENTIRE stock at the new price regardless of how much existing inventory they have. By the same token, they can also de-value their stock but that usually takes place when their inventory diminishes to almost bare shelves.

They're making $$$ guys, no matter how high the prices go.
Yeah so often in times like these you can get better prices at the mom and pop place because they haven't updated their prices. Several years ago when the trade war with China started, Steel took a pretty big jump. I needed some rebar and the local place which usually charges an arm and a leg was cheaper than the big huge place which usually has the best prices.

retirede

Yeah so often in times like these you can get better prices at the mom and pop place because they haven't updated their prices. Several years ago when the trade war with China started, Steel took a pretty big jump. I needed some rebar and the local place which usually charges an arm and a leg was cheaper than the big huge place which usually has the best prices.

Often, the mom & pop store won’t realize their cost has gone up until they reorder.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
They do have current 11% rebate though - but is in store credit rebate so you still must spend your saved money in their stores.
Yeah, they have the rebate back on.

My wife sends them in, then it's her money.
I cant write off anything bought on a store credit, so it doesn't make sense to use it for work stuff. She buys plants, seeds, christmas decorations, etc...

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, they have the rebate back on.

My wife sends them in, then it's her money.
I cant write off anything bought on a store credit, so it doesn't make sense to use it for work stuff. She buys plants, seeds, christmas decorations, etc...
Kind of same here, it's her money.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One of my guys stopped at HD on his way in this morning to grab a couple rolls of 12/2. Price was $85.95.

I was just entering an order at one of my supply houses and noticed the price was $99.20. I though that's a big difference so went on the HD website tonight and they raised the price from $85.95 this morning to $99.60 tonight. I checked another one of my suppliers and they are at $90 so they get tomorrows order. A few bucks on 1 or 2 rolls is not a big deal but for larger projects it really adds up.

One of my guys stopped at HD on his way in this morning to grab a couple rolls of 12/2. Price was $85.95.

I was just entering an order at one of my supply houses and noticed the price was $99.20. I though that's a big difference so went on the HD website tonight and they raised the price from $85.95 this morning to $99.60 tonight. I checked another one of my suppliers and they are at $90 so they get tomorrows order. A few bucks on 1 or 2 rolls is not a big deal but for larger projects it really adds up.
Owww my bottom! 😥

James L

Occupation
Electrician

After seeing the price at Menards the other day (pics in post #27) I figured HD wouldn't be far behind.

I don't use a lot of wire because I mostly do small projects. But I bought 3 rolls of #12 and 4 rolls of #14

Should keep me good for 3 or 4 weeks

kwired

Electron manager
Looked a Facebook site for local scrapyard where they post current prices - last year about March 20 #1 copper was 1.38.

About a week ago it was 3.61. and highest I recall seeing. most of last year never went over about 2.40, until December/January then kind of kept mostly going up. Yesterday was posted at 3.43.

Status
Not open for further replies.