Electric Coil Cooktop Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chezaugie

Occupation
Retired
I currently have a 4 coil electric cooktop that I would like to replace. Is it possbile to replace the 4 coil cooktop with an electric ceramic glass (radiant) cooktop? If so, do I contact an electrician, appliance installer or a general handyman?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If you want the best shot at getting it right on the first call, get a residential electrician who installs appliances as part of his regular work scope.

Appliance installers are not electricians. They know how to fasten in place, etc, but they wouldn't be able to replace a circuit if your old one isn't large enough.

Handymen make a mockery of almost everything they touch, and are an embarrassment to skilled tradesmen everywhere. Enough said there

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I currently have a 4 coil electric cooktop that I would like to replace. Is it possbile to replace the 4 coil cooktop with an electric ceramic glass (radiant) cooktop? If so, do I contact an electrician, appliance installer or a general handyman?

Unfortunately you may need a handyman as well as an electrician. If the cooktop that you buy has the same cutout as the actual cabinet has then an electrician is all you need however you may need a handyman or someone to cut out fix the cutout that is there. Try and get the same rough in dimensions for the cooktop as the old one.

Chezaugie

Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately you may need a handyman as well as an electrician. If the cooktop that you buy has the same cutout as the actual cabinet has then an electrician is all you need however you may need a handyman or someone to cut out fix the cutout that is there. Try and get the same rough in dimensions for the cooktop as the old one.
Good point. There are no cooktops I can find that currently fit my cut out. Thanks.

Chezaugie

Occupation
Retired
[/Q
Either of the first two. The second one might need the services of the first one.
Thanks!

Chezaugie

Occupation
Retired
If you want the best shot at getting it right on the first call, get a residential electrician who installs appliances as part of his regular work scope.

Appliance installers are not electricians. They know how to fasten in place, etc, but they wouldn't be able to replace a circuit if your old one isn't large enough.

Handymen make a mockery of almost everything they touch, and are an embarrassment to skilled tradesmen everywhere. Enough said there
Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good point. There are no cooktops I can find that currently fit my cut out. Thanks.
A good electrician should be able to cut the countertop just keep in mind that most will not take responsibility if something goes wrong. I've cut a granite counter top to install a slightly larger cooktop in my own home.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
A good electrician should be able to cut the countertop.....
Exactly. That's why I suggested looking for a residential electrician who installs appliances. He should be used to cutting into cabinetry for such things as island receptacles.

If he stutters at the idea of cutting into a countertop, kindly thank him for his time and move on because he's just not qualified

Chezaugie

Occupation
Retired
Exactly. That's why I suggested looking for a residential electrician who installs appliances. He should be used to cutting into cabinetry for such things as island receptacles.

If he stutters at the idea of cutting into a countertop, kindly thank him for his time and move on because he's just not qualified
Thanks. My countertop is the old laminate (particle board?).

kwired

Electron manager
The "laminate" is the top finish layer. Can be applied to a lot of different things, but often is applied to "particle board" to lessen cost of the complete assembly. This especially true for counter top that was produced somewhere that sort of does mass production of these tops. Some handymen and some cabinet guys will apply laminate on site on whatever they feel suits their needs, but that was more common say 40 years ago, the shops that do mass production of them generally are less cost anymore.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would use a jigsaw with a reverse (down-cutting) blade, such as:

1614539929981.png

Status
Not open for further replies.